Serious issues with latest GeForce 4 drivers?

Thread: Serious issues with latest GeForce 4 drivers?

Unhappy Serious issues with latest GeForce 4 drivers?

Just built a new PC yesterday, with an Asus V8460 Ultra GeForce 4(Ti4600). Everything worked great, until I downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia, the 30.82.

Installed the new drivers, restarted, ran the demo software that comes with it. Part way through the demo windows crashes, and the machine reboots. And reboots. And reboots, endlessly.

I've tried booting it in safe mode, but it still reboots itself when it gets to the video drivers. If I can't even get into safe mode, how can I fix the drivers? I tried running the w2k repair from the w2k disk, but that didnt work. Looks like I may have to nuke the whole thing and reinstall w2k from scratch

Any suggestions anyone? And is this a known issue? For reference my motherboard is an Asus P4S8X P4-ready SiS648 8x AGP, with a P4 2.53Ghz CPU.

Cheers,
    Jojo

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Those drivers are WHQL certified and IMHO the best to date, there are the newer 40 series but they are tripe.

If you cant get into safe mode then it indicates something other than the drivers as in safe mode only the bare minimum is loaded
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    Agreed, Safe mode loads no drivers specific to any hardware, in your case, I would try reinstalling windows, just in case it was a bad install, but I think in the end will need to RMA that card.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Happy Ending

Well, since there was so little on the machine to 'lose' I bit the bullet and did a whole new Win2k install. While it was running, I checked a few other forums, and discovered that I made a mistake originally. I had installed the drivers that came on the CD with the card, then installed the 30.82 drivers without uninstalling the old ones. Silly me. I've never heard of this before, and it wasnt made clear on the download. Anyway I've paid the price for my error

So, fresh Win2k install, I just went straight to nVidia and grabbed the 30.82 drivers again, installed them and everything runs perfectly. The demo that crashed it orginally actually runs even better now.

It all worked out in the end, but I'm a little miffed that nVidia require such a finicky install!

Cheers,
    Jojo

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Yeah, most of nvidias drivers are rock solid (less their beta) but htey require that you remove all traces of the old drivers before they will work properly
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Question

I've seen several complaints in the forums about the Detonator 40 drivers; I have them installed at work (Socket 7 system with TNT2/M64 - 16MB card) without any problem. In fact, performance is up over the v30.82 drivers. Maybe it's because the M64 card isn't running as many features as the newer, more powerful cards.

As far as uninstalling older drivers goes, Matrox requires uninstallation of previous drivers before installing new ones. I think ATI requires it too.
    When all else fails.....FDISK!