Dell Desktops - Dimension vs. Optiplex

Thread: Dell Desktops - Dimension vs. Optiplex

Dell Desktops - Dimension vs. Optiplex

My 60+ year old mother is finally going to buy a computer for my parent's home. I have told her I will get it for her. I have decided to get her a Dell. I have not decided yet whether to get her a Dimension or an Optiplex. We use Compaqs at work, so I have only a little experience with Dell.

She will be using Microsoft Office and the Internet. I seriously doubt if she will move beyond that in the lifetime of this computer, so her needs are pretty basic.

For those of you that have used both models, what do you see as the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. In case you are wondering why she does not buy a custom box from a local shop, it is because she lives in a rural area and there are no local shops available. I live 100 miles away, so I want her to be able to get factory support. Dell seems to be the best at support right now from what I have heard/read.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

Yes Dell would be a good buy... but be warned they use proprietary parts, therefore you cannot go and just replace major components like the power supply when the warranty runs out.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Having serviced both, I think that either one will work for her in the manner you describe (and don't be surprised if she moves beyond office and the internet pretty quickly..Once they get online, theres no telling what they'll do)..The optiplex is more of a business machine/workstation..If you are using dial-up for her internet connection, I would go with the dimension
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Thumbs up

I say go with the Optiplex Series.
    I have many GX260 Computers at work - never doing me no hardware problems.
    IMHO the best Series are the GX150 (but they are hard to find).

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

I will second the optiplex vote - they are a little more pricey, but being a business series of machines they are also more reliable - you get what you pay for. Maintaining 500+ of these Dell Optiplex boxes I have experienced a very low number of hardware failures.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010