Skill Drills

Thread: Skill Drills

Skill Drills

I would like to know how people rate BrainBuzz Skill Drills as a guide to where one is at? Are the tests a good indication of what you might get in MCP etc and is the scoring fair? Or are they just for fun?

The Skills Drills I have tried so far are A+, W2K Server, Windows XP, W98 and MS Front Page plus a few others. I see on the scheme of work for the W2K Server course I am on that we have Skill Drills later on.

When I do them, my scores seem to go down as I learn more!

What about the books with tests in them like the Osborne A+ book and the same from Microsoft?

A friend told me that it is not only what you know but that you have to be told how to do things and answer questions the Microsoft way to get certification - is this so?

What I mean is, if I get a 3.50 pass mark on Skill Drill does that mean I am ready for that MCSE component?
    Last edited by MorseLady; October 11th, 2002 at 01:32 PM.

Re: Skill Drills

Originally posted by GranGeek
    .....When I do them, my scores seem to go down as I learn more! .....

A friend told me that it is not only what you know but that you have to be told how to do things and answer questions the Microsoft way to get certification - is this so?.....
    Sigh..... I'm convinced that these are like those psychometric testing thingies that tell you whether you ought to be a doctor or a garbage man.... 'ollocks!

'Tis true... learn Uncle Bill's way, or not at all if you want certification, cobblers! The whole things aimed at getting you out installing & recommending MS pants.

Much of the problem is the success of the whole certification thing & the way the exams are actually designed. You can only ask so many multiple choice questions on any given subject material, now that most of the tests are 'adaptive' (meaning once you've clocked up enough score on any one subject you move on to another if not more q's on the original..) this makes it worse as they attempt to re-word 'old' q's so you think they are different. Multiple choice tests can be passed by monkies if you take the test enough times...judging by some of the job candidates I see that may just be what's happening!!

Certification means very lttle to me, I take the opinion that on x date, x candidate could answer x many questions correctly (by guesswork, luck or ability!) but it doesn't mean they'll be a good techie.... Now when I have new products, someone gets 'volunteered' to do certification in that, but only because its the cheapest & quickest way to get a start on that. Remember they train you on what's supposed to happen not what does ...... .

If you want the paperwork I'm afraid to say it's MS way or no way.