Fault MS-DOS Extender in Win98/SE Setup

Thread: Fault MS-DOS Extender in Win98/SE Setup

Question Fault MS-DOS Extender in Win98/SE Setup

I am working on a P4 1.7A Ghz, 256DDR, GeForce 2 MX400, DVD, CD-RW, Via 8233 chipset. It's an Amptron mobo.

I am trying to install Win 98 or Win 98SE, and I always get the same error: Fault outside the MS-DOS Extender. Then gives a bunch of codes (EC=0000, ES=0337, and a bunch more, about 16 total, like compression or something). I have never seen this error before in my 6 years experience, my boss has never seen that error in his 20+ years experience.

I've tried new RAM, a different processor, multiple copies of Win98, tried installing off the hard drive and off the CD, tried "/is /iv /ic /nr" after setup and that didn't help.

It will get through Scandisk and start saying "Copying files needed for Windows Setup," then it will give the error and say "Please remove disks and restart," like it finished copying although it took no time at all, and of course didn't work.

I'm stuck and I appreciate your replies,

matt|ttam
    www.iamttam.com

could be any number of things...here is more info:

click here

Have you tried a complete fdisk and reformat? How about hard drive disk utilities?..and set the bios to default settings before trying it
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Amptron is famous or "Infamous" for selling mobos that don't work. I thought they went out of business several years ago.

Anyway, I did have a problem like this awhile ago. With me it was a fan that wasn't working.

Good Luck,
    Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Nah..not out of business..unfortunately..we still get them in in bargain boxes from time to time
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

You've got PCChips .... my condolences.
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

Thumbs down The friggin' Amptron

Okay, it turns out there was a problem w/ the Amptron board. I plugged it all into an Aopen board and Windows installed fine. However (the whole reason we swapped the motherboard), the DVD-ROM will not work. I go to install any DVD software and it gives me an Ikernel or lkernel or something error and I can't install the DVD software. I've tried PowerDVD 2.5, 3.0, and 4.0 and WinDVD 3.0.

Thanks,

matt|ttam

Re: The friggin' Amptron

Originally posted by iamttam
    Okay, it turns out there was a problem w/ the Amptron board. I plugged it all into an Aopen board and Windows installed fine. However (the whole reason we swapped the motherboard), the DVD-ROM will not work. I go to install any DVD software and it gives me an Ikernel or lkernel or something error and I can't install the DVD software. I've tried PowerDVD 2.5, 3.0, and 4.0 and WinDVD 3.0.

Thanks,

matt|ttam
    OK, lets have some setup details and accurate error messages.

Which DVDROM drive, what ide chain is it on, does it see cdr's?

Ikernal error help here

Possible update needed available here
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."