Imaging a WinXP Pro drive...Help!

Thread: Imaging a WinXP Pro drive...Help!

Imaging a WinXP Pro drive...Help!

Trying to do an image of a WinXP Pro drive that has been Sysprep-ed in order to replicate it to identical machines. All machines are Dell Optiplex GX-1 machines with identical hardware. Have set up a Sysprep.ini file using Setup manager with the -mini setup switch to automate the installation using the answer file. Have also run the -bmsd switch to populate the [sysprep] and [sysprepmassstorage] section of the sysprep.inf file with necessary mass storage drivers to use during the initial hardware detection during installation of the imaged machines. The source drive is 4GB and the data takes up just under 2GB. Heres where the trouble starts. Every machine that the image gets copied to comes up with a BSOD before the mini-setup wizard starts with the error 0x0000007b. Ive checked the MSKnowledge base and it has to do with no mass storage controller driver being available !!?? Ive tried doing this with Drive Image Pro 4, Drive Image 5, Drive Image 2002, and Norton Ghost 2002. Ive tried to build an image to install on the machines, and Ive taken my source disk with the Sysprepped partition and installed it into each machine to try and do a direct disk-to-disk copy using each of the programs mentioned above. Each time the new machine boots I get that same BSOD. Has anyone been sucessfull using a 3rd party utility to copy a Sysprepped XP Pro partition to other machines? Thanks for any input
    Live long, die rich, leave a 20yo widow...

Last time I used sysprep was with Win2K and used Norton Ghost to transfer the info, maybe the GX-1's have different motherboards? I know when using the the Gx-150's the boards tended to change alot

I wasn't even sure you could use sysprep with XP anyhow.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Found the Solution!

Well, after 3Weeks of banging my head I finally have created a successfull image! Turns out that according to this article on the MS Knowledge base, that apparently there is some sort of bug (imagine that) in Sysprep that if the destination partition is allowed to extend to the end of the drive if it is larger than the source partition, the process will fail.
    My source partition was 4000 out of a possible 4125MB available on the drives. When using any of the imaging programs I was using I was letting the image expand to fill the entire drive. Apparently this was the problem all along. After finding that KB article and trying to copy disk-to-disk while leaving the remaining space on the destination drive un-allocated, the newly cloned drive is now running the unattended mini-setup sucessfully! Now to see if I can create a Drive Image image and deploy it to the rest of the machines to be cloned.
    Hope this doesnt happen to anyone else... live and learn!
    Live long, die rich, leave a 20yo widow...