My new Red Hat Linux box!!!

Thread: My new Red Hat Linux box!!!

My new Red Hat Linux box!!!

I guess this topic goes here...

I'm so excited!

I am posting from my first Linux box. Red Hat to be exact. Proud to be the owner of a brand spankin' new install of Linux.

Install was easy!

Get's on the net without help.

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I can't find any settings anywhere!

I don't even know how to change the resolution on the screen, get to other PC's on the network...

What's this whole root thing about anyway?

It's very much like being a user again.

The box is stable though, in fact it's stable as a mofo. It does absolutlely nothing but my god it's stable!!! I could watch it be stable all damn day!!!

I'm really 100% lost in this OS. Anyone suggest some good sites for reading up on the basic functions of Red Hat Linux - like really easy sped info for those new to Linux? Oh, and does anyone suggest a good place to get a free virus scanner for Linux?

Hey, that sounds great. i've tried installing Red Hat 7 a while back, but I could never get it installed. don't know if its hardware related or the Cd or what. i just wanted a RH box too. so, you said the install went smoothly. i think the problem i had was creating the linux partitions. its been a while,but I think I'll keep working at it, i want a RH box too!!
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

Red Hat partitioned the drive at it saw fit. I just let it do it's thing.

Anyway, I got sick of watching it be stable and put XP on it so I could use it for something. Oh well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places to go for some easy free info? I'm gonna set it up again in the future for poops and giggles, as long as I know what to do after the install.

Hehe.. I just built a linux box with red hat 7.3 on it 4 weeks ago. I have not worked on it for 2 weeks now because I could not figure out how to get something working.

Maybe its time to try again.

Originally posted by ilovetheusers
    Red Hat partitioned the drive at it saw fit. I just let it do it's thing.

Anyway, I got sick of watching it be stable and put XP on it so I could use it for something. Oh well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places to go for some easy free info? I'm gonna set it up again in the future for poops and giggles, as long as I know what to do after the install.
    Google.com my friend.

Pretty much if you want to learn about something in linux go to google and type "howto <your question here>" and it will come pretty close to finding what you need. Also check Samba.org out for file server/sharing for a windows based network. I'm running it on a Redhat 7.2 system and it is rock solid.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Red Hat 8.0

I have done installations of Red Hat for other people, starting with 5.x. But up until 8.0, I have never been able to install it for myself on the older (toy) hardware I have kicking around; there were always installation errors even though all hardware in the boxes was (supposedly) supported. Red Hat 8.0 is an entirely different story, though.

With 8.0, I have only tried the desktop installation, and it is dead simple -- just keep clicking OK.

If someone is looking for a stand-alone home desktop, this is a definite consideration. It has everything a (non-gaming) home user would likely ever need -- browser, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, (simple) games, etc. -- the only thing that is really missing is anti-virus software. What is more, it would almost be impossible for a user to screw anything up without access to the Root, and even then it is complicated enough to change things that most users would give up in despair.

Visually (with the default Gnome GUI), it looks like the love-child of Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro -- not entirely original but not unattractive, either.

Looking at the list of supported printers, I must say that support "seems" a little spotty. Mainstream lasers and better quality ink jets "should" pose little difficulty -- speaking through my (Red) hat here, "though," since I haven't tried setting up a local printer, and I really don't know how difficult or easy this is.

I am experiencing more than a little grief trying to set up Markvision and Optra drivers on my toy network. However, this is probably due to inexperience on my part.

Installing the Flash plug-in for the Mozilla browser was a bit bizzare for someone who is used to the comfort of Windows, but it wasn't that difficult. It was beyond the capabilities of a normal user, though, especially since the instructions for installation do not match the directory structure of 8.0.

Pay attention to the minimum requirement for this release of Red Hat -- P200 with 128Mb of RAM. I am (just barely) running it on a P233MMX with 128Mb of RAM. It is slow, very slow, and some of the included games, including the fairly simple Tux Racer, run so slowly that they are uncontrollable, -- others will not run at all. Checking out system resources, I discover that just sitting there doing nothing at all, the OS consumes almost the entire 128Mb of RAM. So if you want to play with this release, I would suggest that you raise the minimum requirements to something like a PII 350 with 512Mb of RAM, or perhaps even higher.

Overall, I must say that my initial impressions are highly favorable.

Check it out for yourself.
    Last edited by houseisland; October 17th, 2002 at 12:25 PM.

Good point. Linux likes memory. Lot's and lot's of memory. Proccessor speed helps but memory is where it's at. I upgraded my system from 128mb of ram to 256mb and it runs SO much faster. If I had more memory I would install it.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Running Mandrake 9, but I might just get RH8 just to try it and compare.
    Originally posted by ilovetheusers
    well, for starters, there is http://www.linuxnewbie.org
    and hey, it's part of the internet.com family
    Last edited by Rellik; October 17th, 2002 at 11:13 PM.
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    I had Mandrake running this summer on one of my boxes. It was SOOOO easy to install it just wasn't funny. I just stuck the CD in the CDRom and turned the PC on, about 30 minutes later I was surfing the internet on my new Linux box.

If you have Kazaa or similar, type in Linux or Redhat and do a search, I found a pretty handy Linux Survival Guide that filled in a lot of the blanks for me, as well as a list of commands you can use from a prompt.

Linux Rocks!!
    WWBRD?

Talking Linux basics

"Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

I took the plunge last weekend and installed Red Hat 7.3 ( I had the ISO's lying around and couldn't be bothered to dl 8.0)

It is very stable, I've had it running for a week without an issue. I found a load of useful information, tips and advice at Linuxnewbie
    Bollocks

Checking out linuxnewbie now. Thanks guys!

Sorry can't help you out with the Linux box itself, ( have one at home that I just havent' the time to mess with and set up. ) but for AV it's not a constant scan i dont' think but f-prot for linux is free for personal use.

www.complex.is

Free updates too though you have to do them manually I believe.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!