NET SEND Questions

Thread: NET SEND Questions

NET SEND Questions

O.K. I just recently refreshed my mind to the beauty of NET SEND. Now my questions is this:

How can I send a message via NET SEND to more than one machine simultaneously? For example, all the computers in my building start with the three letter city code OBK-COMPUTER1, OBK-COMPUTER2, OBK-COMPUTER3. Will "NET SEND OBK-* TEST" work? I have yet to try it because the users will not know what to do if that pops up on their screen and I'll get tons of calls telling me what happened.

And second example, what if I want to send to computers that have no similarities in their name? For example, OBK-COMPUTER1, CHI-COMPUTER1, MEM-COMPUTER1. How would I send a message simultaneously to all of them?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The easiest way is to just use a batch prog...you can send to everybody and their momma like that, and if there are few dissimilarities, then it will essentially be just cut-and-paste after the first one or so.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

Right from the window help:

Sends messages to other users, computers, or messaging names on the network. The Messenger service must be running to receive messages.

net send {name | * | /domain[:name] | /users} message

Parameters

name

Specifies the user name, computer name, or messaging name to send the message to. If the name is a computer name that contains blank characters, enclose the alias in quotation marks (" "). Long user names may lead to problems when used as NetBIOS names. NetBIOS names are limited to 16 characters, and Windows 2000 reserves the 16th character.

Sends the message to all the names in your domain or workgroup.

/domain[:name]

Sends the message to all the names in the computer's domain. If name is specified, the message is sent to all the names in the specified domain or workgroup.

/users

Sends the message to all users connected to the server.

Specifies text to be sent as a message.

Originally posted by Ya_know
    Right from the window help:

Sends messages to other users, computers, or messaging names on the network. The Messenger service must be running to receive messages.

net send {name | * | /domain[:name] | /users} message

Parameters...
    All of that can be read by typing "net send/?..."

But as I said before, for the application he is requesting, a batch prog would work best, as he needs to be selective about which computers get what message.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.