[RESOLVED] disapearing hard drive

Thread: [RESOLVED] disapearing hard drive

Bug_Mekanic

Exclamation disapearing hard drive

Check this out. I was swapping my 7.5 gig Maxtor out for a new IBM 30 gig drive. After putting in the 30 gig and running FDISK and formatting it, I put my 7.5 gig back in to do a disk copy. Anyway, now my computer won't recognize the 7.5 Bios recognizes it fine, but when it gets to verifing the DMI pool, it hangs for a while, then says there is no OS. I used a boot disk to get to the A: prompt to see what I could see, but then there is no C: drive. I can't even run any HD diagnostics, because the drive isn't recognized. if I re-boot and go back into bios, the drive then doesn't exist there either. If I power down the sys. then go into bios, the drive is detected again. Then the cycle starts again. The drive had no problems before, just upgraded for more storage. Problem is, all my data is on the small drive...Any suggestions? I've downloaded Maxdiagnostics to try that tonight. Tried running On-Track, but cant find the drive. This drive has win2K on it, and I've tried the emergency boot disks as well as a repair install...no luck.
    Jack

------------------
    "If it ain't broke...just give me a minute"

hey man, You might want to restore defaults to your bios before you hook that 7 gb hdd again. sound like something happened to maybe the lba mode or something.

Sorry but I am sick today and am not all there. I had this prob before and I thingk that is what fixed it.

------------------
    hey its me again!
    hey its me again!

Bug_Mekanic

Both the 7.5 and the 30 gig are running LBA mode. I've tried returning the bios to the default settings with no results. I've gotten some info from the Maxtor site telling me to "clear the DMI pool". Sounds basically like moving the jumper on the mobo to clear bios, power on , power off, then hook up the drive. I'm going to try this when I get home from work. I'll post whether it works or not.
    I've also set the bios to full auto detect, as well as user defined, but no difference. The bios seems to have no problems seeing the drive until after it posts...

------------------

Sounds like you might have had an overlay installed on the old drive? Will the system boot off the old drive with the newer one disconnected?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Bug_Mekanic

With both drives connected (30g IBM and 7g Maxtor) the system will boot from the os on the IBM (set as master, 7g set as slave) but once booted, you cannot see the maxtor in my computer. If you set the maxtor to master and the ibm to slave, no boot.

Yes. That's what you said before. Read my last post (just above yours). We need more info and that test will help.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Bug_Mekanic

Nope, drive wouldn't boot with the new drive disconnected. Ran Maxdiag and it told me the drive was toast. Called tech support for Maxtor and they confirmed the same based on the error code reported (E03). Got an RMA and will be sending the drive in. I hate to lose, wish I could've figured out exactly what went wrong with it. It's the only way I learn stuff like this. (break it then try to fix it!) I really appreciated the feedback...stay tuned, I'm sure I'll break something else very soon!

Jack
    If your intrigued by me breaking stuff, check out my other problem in the mother board forum!

------------------