Any Fellow Techs Practice Martial Arts?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Fellow Techs Practice Martial Arts?

Any Fellow Techs Practice Martial Arts?

Its a weird phenomenon, specific to where I live perhaps, but like every computer tech I know practices some sort of Martial Arts.

I myself haven taken Judo, and am currently practicing Brazialian Jiu-Jitsu. Its a great outlet for anger and aggression after dealing with the Lusers all day long

Anyone else?
    What do you think of the Compaq Presarios?

Well personally, m'am, I wouldn't own a computer who's middle name is sorry

Banned
    The cleetus practices and is skilled at the highly difficult and extemely lethal art of Redneck-Fu.

I have Kung Fu, Capoeira, and Tai Chi under my belt (pun intended). I had fun learning them.
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

Currently *and likely will be for as long as I live* a student of Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu. I may lean one day toward Kashaba Ryu, but dunno right now

Previously have done some Tae Kwan Do and Akido, but my first love is still Shorin Ryu, fencing and kendo *when i can find anyone teaching or interested in sparring *I live in the boonies as far as martial arts go at times*
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."
    -how to live a life well spent

Originally posted by NeuromancerIV
    Currently *and likely will be for as long as I live* a student of Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu. I may lean one day toward Kashaba Ryu, but dunno right now

Previously have done some Tae Kwan Do and Akido, but my first love is still Shorin Ryu, fencing and kendo *when i can find anyone teaching or interested in sparring *I live in the boonies as far as martial arts go at times*
    If I can remember my Japanese doesn't Matsubayashi mean Pine Forest. Ryu means River but the wierd thing is I think Shorin is chinese based. Am I wrong about any of this
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

I used to practice Tae Kwon Do before I got old and lazy and fat.
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

GokuSS2 Please excuse the long post here.....

Yup yup we are the Matsabayashi*Pine Forest* school of the Shorin Ryu style, 4 generations removed from Shoshin Nagamine sensei who founded it*Matsubayshi-Ryu* in 1947. Incidentally, Nagamine Sensei's nickname meant "tenacious pine tree"

The origin of the style's name from is a Shaolin Temple in China.

What became Shorin Ryu was brought to Okinawa by Chinese monks and diplomats and from Okinawans visting the Chinese Mainland and blended with the Native martial art generically called te

When the Satsuma clan of Japan took over Okinawa they banned all use of weapons and practice of marital arts, te was passed in secret from father to son. It later became 2 tpyes of form, called Shuri-te and Naha-te

Shuri-te is quick and fast, making it ideal for folks like me with a thick torso and strong arms and legs. Its sibling form; Naha-te or Shorie-Ryu is reccomended for larger in stature folks.

Shuri-te is divided into 3 (main)styles Shorin Ryu and Matsabyashi ryu. You can call our style either Matsabayshi Ryu or Shorin Ryu interchangibly, the kanji characters for it can be read from Chinese or Japanese. The character meaning "pine tree" can be read thus matsu or sho and the reading of forest can be read hayashi with a "b" or "s".

There IS a distinct difference between the styles of the Shorin family. Hope I didnt get any of my details wrong there, though, MY sensei would beat me loopy! LOL
    Last edited by NeuromancerIV; October 18th, 2002 at 04:42 PM.
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."
    -how to live a life well spent

You mean I was right. Thats scary.

Originally posted by GokuSS2
    I have Kung Fu, Capoeira, and Tai Chi under my belt (pun intended). I had fun learning them.
    what are you doing? you're Son-Goku, you don't need any of this wussy earthly martial arts. you're a sayain. c'mon man

i once got my *** kicked by a guy that said he knew martial arts. does that count?
    take care and tempt not the fates

Originally posted by Buddy Holly
    what are you doing? you're Son-Goku, you don't need any of this wussy earthly martial arts. you're a sayain. c'mon man

i once got my *** kicked by a guy that said he knew martial arts. does that count?
    O That's right I forgot to add the Kamisenin style

Took Karate when I was five. I only went to one class, and cried when the other kid hit me. I never went back. Does that count?

In all seriousness, and as that's a true story above,.. I do have an interest to learn Jee Kun Do. But it costs so damn much money (like $500 p/month). So I won't be signing up anytime soon.
    Hello World

I have follow the martial way for about 13 years now. I have studied Tae Kwan Do, Kyuki-do(similar to formentioned), Goshindo Karate, Fu-Chen Kung-fu, and for the past 3 years have been studing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Llanelli, where do you train and who is your instructor?
    Sooouuuushi!

I'm just trying to figure out how everyone can afford to spend so much money on training. Seems like you need a 6 figure salary in order to even enter the martial arts arena. I would LOVE to train if only i had the money to do so.
    Hello World

I have sat in some classes at a friends house and have been trained in some of the basics. I dont recal the style but its brutal. Some chinese mafia crap that I guess not a lot of people teach. Either way the stuff is cool. I was about 275 and 6'4" and my buddies 100lb. wife threw me around like a rag doll.

Originally posted by Akuma
    I have follow the martial way for about 13 years now. I have studied Tae Kwan Do, Kyuki-do(similar to formentioned), Goshindo Karate, Fu-Chen Kung-fu, and for the past 3 years have been studing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Llanelli, where do you train and who is your instructor?
    Akuma,

I train at Hatcher's Martial Arts in Maryville, TN. Check out hatchersmartialarts.com

Brad Hatcher has been training in Martial Arts for 25 years or so, and has his Brown Belt under Rickson Gracie(yes THE Rickson Gracie) http://www.rickson.com/frame_assoc.html

Anyways, its a lot of fun and great for conditioning as well as learning self defense. Of course, Im 6'3 and weigh in around 270, so I don't get in a lot of fights to begin with
    What do you think of the Compaq Presarios?

Well personally, m'am, I wouldn't own a computer who's middle name is sorry