Red Hat 8 -- So Cool
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat 8 -- So Cool

Red Hat 8 -- So Cool

See I Love The Users post about his new Red Hat box for some background to this post.

I took the hard drive from my P 233MMX Red Hat 8 box (Intel 430HX) in which the SDRAM was maxed out at 128MB and stuck it in a Slot A motherboard box with all different hardware, nothing the same except the hard drive.

Red Hat started up and walked me through a very simple process of removing the configuration for hardware that no longer existed and adding all the new hardware. It was about a 5 minute process.

It then went on to boot flawlessly. Very very cool.....

Try doing that with an MS OS without have done a whole lot of work and planning before hand.

Most impressive.

Win 2000 will do that with old stuff. you might wanna give it a couple hours to poop itself before it gets solid again, but it can be done. Trick is to use all older hardware that it has drivers for.

I've got to find time to learn about linux.

can you see and access your cd-rom drive? 7.2 or 7.3 had this bug, wonder if it got fixed in 8.0....
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Hi,

Re. I Love The Users' Comments:

Windows 2000 will often allow a complete motherboard swap (diiferent chipset, Intel to AMD) if you remember to uninstall the IDE controllers before shutting the system down to port the hard drive over. Sometimes an overlay repair re-install is required to get things running again.

Windows 9x will sometimes allow it if you delete the ENUM key before shutting down.

The swap with Red Hat 8.0 was the easiest I have ever done.

Re. Storm's Question:

There has not been a problem with the CDROM, but perhaps my situation has not been a good test since the two CDROMs are very similar models from the same manufacturer, perhaps with the same mechanics. The only thing that distinguishes them externally is the model numbers.
    Last edited by houseisland; October 23rd, 2002 at 09:55 PM.

Originally posted by houseisland
    Hi,

Re. I Love The Users' Comments:

Windows 2000 will often allow a complete motherboard swap (diiferent chipset, Intel to AMD) if you remember to uninstall the IDE controllers before shutting the system down to port the hard drive over. Sometimes an overlay repair re-install is required to get things running again.

Off topic here but following these directions will work with out an overlay. Works pretty good too.

Hi.

Thanks for the reference to the KB article, Larromi. I will have to bookmark it.

Mozilla Upgrade Fails -- Enthusiam Slightly Dampened

Red Hat 8 has this little icon in what would be the task bar in Windows. It informs when there are updates -- hmm does this sound familiar...

Anyway several updates have gone off without a hitch. But the Mozilla update today has left me without a browser. Not sure where to start in trying to fix this problem. At the moment, for me a re-install would probably be simplest.

Any thoughts?

i would use Konquerer and download a fresh copy of mozilla and reinstall.
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    If you guys like that, try mandrake 9.0
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

hmmmm... ive been interested in gettin RH 8.0.... possible to download (Legally?)???

and 1 question thats been bugging me...

WT* is the Difference between X-Windows, Gnome, Etc.....

thanks

I like trying out installing Linux once in a while, but I never really stick to it. So this past weekend, I downloaded the 3 iso cd formats Mandrake 9.0

I made sure I had Mandrake compatible hardware to work with it.

An Abit be6 II with a PIII 700 mhz slot 1 cpu, 256 mb sd ram, 6.4 gig fuj hd., generic cdrom, fd, 32 mb geforce 2 mx agp v.c., 3com 10/100 nic, sb pci 128 s.c. and a 300 watt p.s case.

generic keyboard and 2 button mouse.

I went with expert model to manually partition the hd and load up all the individual packages. Almost 3 gigs of info to load. Loaded under 3 hours. Set up a root password and a user account for myself. Connected to the internet just fine.
    Found everything. Downloaded all updates for Mandrake 9

Mandrake 9 looks good. However, it isn't that user friendly yet. And I'm still a linux newbie.
    Ex) I wasted 3 hours going through mandrake forums on how to adjust the refresh rate on my 15 inch hp monitor.
    It detected the monitor fine, but it was a 60 hz refresh rate. I couldn't just simply adjust the refresh rate like you could in windows. I tried going through the command line editor and run DFdrake and XfreeX86config just to edit some lines to get it to work, but no good. I just ended up reloading mandrake 9 and selected for custom monitor where I could adjust the refresh rate just prior to fully installing it.
    2.5 hours later, the monitor was much easier to look at. Unfortunately, some websites wouldn't work properly with the conquer internet browser built into the KDE gui. Only either Netscape or internet explorer. I downloaded the linux version of Netscape 7 in tar (zip) format. I had to load it in as root administrator. So now I had Netscape running but only if you are logged in as root. My user account doesn't have direct permission to use this program. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I still have to waste more time to go through the mandrake forums to understand how get that permission to run.

I even tried to update the nvidia drivers to get 3d support for linux. The built in support for the card only offered 2d support with an option for a beta 3d support driver. Nvidia didn't have support for mandrake 9 yet, just 8.2 or below. Being a curious dumbass that I am, I tried it and the kernel compiler that came with it. Big mistake, I don't have any proper video support now.

I'm going to have to reload it a 3rd time!!!!!
    Like I said before, for Linux newbies like me, they had better design it to be more user friendly before it takes over the desktop market.

For now, Mandrake 9 can kiss my
    I know some Linux fanatics will me for what I said, but I don't care anymore.

Windows for me!!!!!!

Last edited by cookin chef; October 25th, 2002 at 01:46 AM.

Most flavours seem to be available here,as is Redhat v 8.0 seems legit download site but I aplogise and give permission to remove link if its not http://www.linuxiso.org/

according to THIS article SuSE 8.1 install is very user friendly. haven't tried it yet as the download is large.

1. I'm not a "newbie" to linux, yet not a guru.
    2. I have been working in /with /around computers / networks for sooooo long i am a "Computer Guru" as a general sence....
    3. I have no love for M$ or 'NIX, i used what gets the current task at hand done.. They are TOOLS, and that is how i choose. (why use a hammer to saw wood?)

I have used RedHat 7.x (all the different ones) and 8.0
    I have used all the mandrake ones and Suse.

So far, "Blue Cruve" gui for Gnome in Redhat 8.0 rocks! It has been the best so far. I had no problems installing it native on a P3 1gig with standard hardware. IDE, nvidia, i815e ....

i even got VMware working with it no problems. which normally to get X going under VMware you start out console and have to decompress and blah blah... edit configs... reboot... (or startx if all is good)

I still cant see using it as my main work computer, Apache is not ready to handle the Load IIS can (security aside - no Flames please) The desktop still isnt "newbie friendly" like win32 is.

This is still no "Killer Office APP" (OUTLOOK / EXCHANGE). As far as home use goes... NO DVD, (yea yea i know this is some now.... but....) Games, generally you cant play till they are "OLD". And same problems occur for work from home.....

(Eveloution has a killer "outlook" style mail client for $25 taht connects to exchange 2k)

Linux is good for the current unix style tasks and server clustering (where the new apache 2.x starts to shine - see told ya to hold the flames) Blah Blah..... same old arugment... Blah Blah....

Linux needs to take note on what the "M$ users" like and use... that is what they will want (well similar) in there 'nix!

as far as install and config, intial setup... OEM have restore cd's... and it keeps people like us in biz... to the harder or scarier the better.... LOL..... j/k
    You know you want a crabby patty!!

I`d have to agree on the unfriendlyness of Linux installs and usage at the momment.
    Of the few I have tried they have put me off to a great extent by the knowledge that is required not just to install and run the OS but to install new programs and patches,I mean what do I want to know about var/hda 1,2 &3 roots,home,start x,tar balls,Gnomes [thought they belonged in the garden] etc [ swipes hand over head].
    When it is possible to pop the cd in the drive enter your name in it and press GO then its fighting an uphill battle with the general public.
    Nuff said