new SDRAM stick mem tests at twice rated value

Thread: new SDRAM stick mem tests at twice rated value

new SDRAM stick mem tests at twice rated value

I'm at a loss with this one. Running Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 5.2 mobo w/ 500 MHz K6-2 without problems of any sort for going on 2 years. Three SDRAM slots-which, up until yesterday had 2 64MB sticks and a 128MB stick occupying them. Decided to break loose of $20 and attempted install of 256MB stick of PNY RAM. Installed by itself, or in any variety of combinations with other RAM and this thing allows the BIOS mem test and reports back as a 512 stick. Then the system comes to a screeching halt. Took the PNY and traded for equiv amount of Centron RAM-same issue. Fault appears to lie within the mobo, but I have experimented with any number of BIOS setting changes and every on-board jumper variation you can imagine, but alas, NADA. Any thoughts ?

Yes, I have a suggestion. Try putting the 256 in by itself, without either of the other three. If it works correctly it means that one of the three other sticks is incompatible. If it doesn't then the 256 is either malfuctioning or incompatible.

If it does work by itself then you can slowly replace each stick until you find the faulty one.
    Bouncy Bouncy

a good thought-but already been down that path. on its own it still tests out at 512MB and then will lock the system up right at the end of the BIOS memory testing segment. this behavior is consistent if the 256 stick is in any one of the RAM slots regardless of what does or does not occupy other slots.
    Real Eyes Realize Real Lies

jus a thought,does the board support 256Mb sticks have you checked the maual?

some of those older boards support larger values of ram, but only when its ecc memory. had one just the other day that would accept 3x128mb non ecc sticks or 3 x 256mb ecc sticks. Check your motherboard manual to make sure it supports what ever memory your putting into it.
    Last edited by Damned Angel; October 23rd, 2002 at 04:37 PM.

Don’t some of the older MB have issues with High density ram? If I remember right my old MB would except low-density 256mb ram but not newer high-density sticks. I’m agree with Archer check your manual

You might also check to see whether your ram is Parity or Non-Parity. I know that certain mobos will run one but not the other. IF your other ram is one type and this is another then that could be your problem.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Sounds like the motherboard can't handle the ram, if I remember correctly this is a socket 7 (well, super socket 7) mobo, I know I have had trouble getting alot of old boards to accept 100mhz DIMM's let alone 256meg DIMM's (most likely 133mhz too). I take it the machine runs ok iff you install the old ram?

If not, then maybe the memory speed has changed within the BIOS (ie from 10ns to 8?)

Good Luck..
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.