Are "they" taking gun laws too far?
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Are "they" taking gun laws too far?

Are "they" taking gun laws too far?

This article goes on to talk about "Smart Guns"

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-962895.html?tag=fd_top_10

While it would be nice to have a gun that wouldn't fire when taken from a police officer, this all is getting way out of hand.

I have recently moved to California, (OK last year) I have recently purchased new guns and found some that I wanted to purchase "Illegal" in this state. What ever happened to the 2nd ammendment? While part of it is my own fault for living in CA I feel that the MAJORITY of gun owners are responsible. I feel that this is just another way to win votes from those terrified of guns.

What do you think. Include in your post if you own guns or if you are against firearms has anyone you known be hurn or injured by a firearm?

Ive lived and still am in california for 21 years

the gun laws suck here they just do... they take away all the fun ones. Next year there making you take a saftey class for every gun you purchase

like the 10 day wait was enouph.

whats funny is, I cannot get a ak47, or sks (well sks I can if I import it without the gernaid launcher)

lets just say all the cool assault rifles we cannot have... but we can have one more dangerous than a assault rifle..

what about a sniper rifle or a AWP, or how about a 50 Cal???

dude 50 cal, that thing can just buz by your head and still rip it off

thing is, banning al these guns just make illegal guns come in and more killings etc...

guns dont kill poeple I do.... (warcraft III)

I mean come on, do you really want to rob a 7-11 with a assault rifel or shot gun... I think you would want somthing you could hide... (sawd off shotguin ok) but still not like you want to do this anyways..

look at other states and ciountrys that took away guns and the crime rate sky rocketed.. now they allow guns and allow people to carry them CCW, and the crime rate shot down.

Utah was one that had very high crime do to the gun laws, noow everyone can carry a gun and theres no real restictions on the guns and the crime rate went down.

Guns are good if you know hwo to use them and use them in a good way. Guns are bad ig used wrong. Though its not the gun that kills its the person behind the gun.. Is it our nature to kill?? I think so.. any ways I love guns and id never shoot anyone with out..unless I was in war and had to. Guns are just fun hobby.. skeet, trap, target pratice..

Banned
    I am one of those really messed up types.

I enjoy shooting guns, I have a .22 Rifle that was my dads when he was a kid that I have spent a lot of time cleaning all the rust and gunk out of. I am waiting for a .44 revolver we took from my granddad when we put him in assissted living, that was a Texas Ranger issue from a great, great uncle(it had a whole heck of a lot of rust on it, getting it professionally done).

I understand that having a gun around for protection from the many enemies(or cat killers ) out there. I do want to get my concealed at some point, we are lucky enough to have that here in Texas.

But on the other hand, I have absolutly no problem waiting 5 days to get my gun. I have absolutly no problem with a criminal back ground check. Minor annoyances to try to keep us all a little safer. And the big kicker, I have a real problem with full out automatic/assault weapons. Sorry don't see a need for those to be on the street at all. Learn to shoot, learn safety and your semi-handgun will put out some quick rounds, and hopefully a little more acurate than spraying an entire area. With rifles, if you are a hunter, learn to shoot acurate, one shot one kill. Be a man and make it a sport of some sort. If you need an automatic to kill something, well you shouldn't be out there endangering everybod else.

What????

WTF???

Are you lot completely without any brain cells?

Originally posted by +daemon Guns are good if you know hwo to use them and use them in a good way.
    No **** people kill people. So you think its a good idea to arm them to the teeth, so they can do it more efficiently. Very good, I don't think....

originally posted by TheLow1 What ever happened to the 2nd ammendment? While part of it is my own fault for living in CA I feel that the MAJORITY of gun owners are responsible. I feel that this is just another way to win votes from those terrified of guns.
    Look you a$$holes, the 2nd ammendment was put in the American constitution to make sure George III didn't revover his sanity & send enough troops to kick your stupid redneck a$$es back to where they belong if you think guns have any right to be in a modern society....

Originally posted by Cleetus I am one of those really messed up types.
    Finally someone from the gun lobby realises his true outlook.

I fought in the Gulf War, served in Northern Ireland & Bosnia, & had various postings all over the world. Guns don't make a man.

Perhaps when you've had to identify a few dead bodies, break the news of someones death to grieving relatives, deal with victims of rape (at gunpoint) then you might be qualified to speak out.

You seem to regard guns as toys.

There are a great deal of ****ed up people in the world to whom you are giving a tool to pursue their lunacy or crimes with. Gun control is good, they should be banned full stop, period.

Perhaps when you little children have finnished shouting about your 'right to bear arms' you might remember the victims in all this.

I'll have to disagree confus-ed.

I agree with Daemon. Guns don't kill people, people do. If they didn't have guns, they would use some other means. Knives, baseball bats, homemade guns, crossbows, and even bare hands.

First you outlaw guns then what comes next? Look how many gun "control" laws on are the books. If we outlaw guns, guess who will be the only people to have them? You guessed it, the criminals. I was raised to know that guns should never be pointed at anyone, and to always be careful when in the presence of one.

I recently joined the military and am leaving for basic in 3 weeks. If I go to Iraq or wherever, I am sure I will come back knowing that although guns can do evil, they can also be used for good.
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

Whoa! Down boy! Heel!

I happen to agree with gun control / locks / wait times.
    Shooting is a "sport" which I just can't comprehend and the 2nd Amendment is dated. It was made in a time where there was a real threat of a bear or something like that wandering into your neighboorhood or home.

Crime would obviously continue, but it would be much less likely for someone pick people off from such a distance, like in VA/MD.

Gun lobbiests in my state actually fought against gun locks, too. I don't understand why youl wouldn't want gun locks? I would. It would at least keep your kids from firing them or someone getting ahold of them and using them against you!

*I can just see this thread heating up*
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Originally posted by drewmaztech

Crime would obviously continue, but it would be much less likely for someone pick people off from such a distance, like in VA/MD.
    If crime would continue, and I assume you mean with guns, why would it less likely that a lunatic roaming free in DC would shoot innocent people?

Banned
    Calm down man

You do not have to have been in the military to have seen a dead body, to have seen someone get killed, to deal with the heartache of rapes, to understand crime. We are not talking about the military, but of day to day life those of us who have lived in the city have dealt with our entire lives. I have many friends that are in or are prior service. Some have been shot, some have killed and given the order to kill. But they did it all in the name of service for a reason. What about my family, my property, myself, or to protect the most precious reason you were in the military MY FREEDOM.

Yes, gun's do kill, so do baseball bats, cars, airplanes, donkey's, elevators, McDonalds, eat attacks, and so on and so on.

Are we to ban all of them?

Are we to ban hunting?

Are you really that willing to take away a right, a freedom granted to us through our constitution so that we may defend ourselves from not only foreign invasion(your King George), but so that when our government has gone too far, that we may have a way to be heard. We have the right to a revolution, wether bloodless(every election) or through other means.

I am not a part of the gun lobby, I do not support the NRA. I only believe in the freedoms we have, with some common sense and slight supervision, that is where I say I conflict.

I am in full support of any type of restraints or locks, and do not understand the refusal to have them. I do not see a need for fully automatic weapons.

But also, as in the case of the sniper, I honestly believe that if you had this happening here in Texas, or many of the TRUE southern states, the sniper would already be dead. We have a strong culture of weapons and defense and honor and community. A bubba factor would prevent this from happening.

But I am just an idiot, what do I know.

Originally posted by DiR[ëctory]
    I'll have to disagree confus-ed.
    If I go to Iraq or wherever, I am sure I will come back knowing that although guns can do evil, they can also be used for good.
    you're getting into value judgements here. what is good. what is justified. etc. etc. It's all arbitrary really.

the only thing I will say is that a gun is designed to kill. plain and simple. So when people kill someone with a gun they are simply using the object in the exact way it's design intended it to be used. I don't think that people should have access to a tool that if used properly and as it was designed will cause the loss of life or permanent injury. that's why I don't quite buy the arguement that guns don't kill people, people do.

Lot's of items can be used as weapons in our society there is no question about that. So please don't bring this up and say well let's ban cars because you can run someone over. Doing that is using the tool outside of it's designed uses. I have a problem with anything that serves no purpose other than to end life. Guns, Bombs, etc and feel that these types of objects should not be accesible to the general public.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Originally posted by kato2274
    you're getting into value judgements here. what is good. what is justified. etc. etc. It's all arbitrary really.

the only thing I will say is that a gun is designed to kill. plain and simple. So when people kill someone with a gun they are simply using the object in the exact way it's design intended it to be used. I don't think that people should have access to a tool that if used properly and as it was designed will cause the loss of life or permanent injury. that's why I don't quite buy the arguement that guns don't kill people, people do.

Lot's of items can be used as weapons in our society there is no question about that. So please don't bring this up and say well let's ban cars because you can run someone over. Doing that is using the tool outside of it's designed uses. I have a problem with anything that serves no purpose other than to end life. Guns, Bombs, etc and feel that these types of objects should not be accesible to the general public.
    The first statement you made, is true, I was making a statement based on what I think.

Yes lots of items can be used as weapons. Why can I not bring this up. It is not the items in and of themselves that do the harm, a car drives, a knife cuts. But when coupled with a crazy person, the two don't go, but simply outlawing weapons or more specifically guns, will not do anything. It will just make the problem worse. Who will have guns when they are outlawed? In a perfect society, no one, but in our society, the law abiding citizens would turn in their right to bear arms, and the only ones that would continue to own guns, would be the criminals. Just what we need. Criminals with guns and citizens running around with 2 x 4's trying to protect themselves.

There are already so many gun laws. One more or simply outlawing them will do anything.

All I gotta say is..

I like guns, its a hobby take it away and there goes more than half the population in the USA's hobby.

Is that far? no, purhaps we should ban alot of these sports.. football, soccerr etc... what there not dangerous?

I own 6 guns

I have:

20 gauge shotgun
    .22 ruger
    m44
    vz24 mauser
    and a glock 40 smith and western

sure I havnt seen death up close when it happened, but thats not the point. Why is that I need to see death before I own a gun? Ive taken class's on gun saftey.

taken away guns is like taking away a bicycle from a kid... thats how I feel about it. If you dont like it, $hit then MOVE!!

I can see your one who cannot respect another OPINION
    Last edited by +Daemon+; October 23rd, 2002 at 01:42 PM.

Banned
    When you claim for us not to use the argument that other items can kill, and that the argument does not work, I think you are missing some parts of your argument. A car, when used in its ultimate capacity, is not an instrument of death. But as we all know, there are many uncertanties in life, and one such incident, can turn the car or whatever into something lethal. By intended design or purpose it is not suppossed to kill, but through actual design and physics, it is just as lethal as the tool intended for killing.

Now we have always had to have protection, wether it be a pointed stick, a rock, a sword, a dog, or a gun, we have had the protection. At our basic selves, humans are very weak and fragile. Throughout time, civilizations only allowed certain members of society to keep the stronger weapons, therefor subjegating those beneath them through fear. When you take the best suited weapons away from the citizens, as in the US, then you allow those with the power to rule through fear once again. That is the purpose of the second amendment.

Do I have a rational answer to all the questions?

No, but that is why we elect our members of congress who are there to write our laws. Representatives from throughout the union, writing laws within the interest of the entire union. The president, he is only one man, that neither makes nor writes the laws, and whose approval of a law can be overwritten by the vote of our representatives.

I do not like to see people die, I hope I never have to witness another shooting, I hope I never have another female friend tell me she has been rapped. But technological advances withstanding, we have not progressed as far as we think, from the original animals that we were. And as an animal, the strongest or the smartest will survive. I choose to survive by making sure that I have the ability to defend my own.
    Last edited by Cleetus; October 23rd, 2002 at 01:52 PM.

true that, its hard to argue when this world is just evil and everyone is affrad of everything

It is a proven fact that states with concealed carry laws have lower instances of violent crime. Here is a very good study that proves this. there are thousands of gun laws on the books at this time and not one of them has deterred the mass murderer in Virginia. criminals are not affected by laws(uh...thats why they are called criminals). if someone busts into my home with bad intentions i will do whatever is necessary to protect myself and my family. that does not in any way make me a 'red-neck'. i am so tired of all the bleeding-heart liberals willing to live under the illusion that the government will take care of us and protect us. just ask the families of the victims in Virginia and Maryland how much protection the government has provided. please do not misunderstand, i am a peaceful person and do not believe in killing except as a last resort(i don't even hunt...i'd rather watch the animals than kill them) however i would like to retain the right of self-defense. no one else is going to do it.