Setting up new mobo

Thread: Setting up new mobo

Setting up new mobo

Ok Guys,
    Just replaced a old mobo w/new Gigabyte GA-7DXE.I'm running W98se,128 DDR PC-2100,850 Duron.What is happening is when the System devices start to setup,I get a error message MSgsrv32 error,then all I get is a desktop w/ no Icons.Any suggestions?
    Best regards,
    3M

Msgsrv32.exe is a program (Windows 32-bit message server) that performs several background functions necessary for Windows operation.

These functions include:

Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at shutdown.

Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell if it fails to respond.

Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of the operating system.

Coordinate automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes checking whether a Setup program has improperly overwritten Windows files, and optionally restoring the Windows versions of those files.

Display the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled.

Play the system startup and shutdown sounds.

As you can see, there are a number of things that could be going on..you can either try to troubleshoot, or (my usual option)..make sure the bios of the new board is set to plug and play os, then do an overlay install on windows, which should solve the problem. What steps did you take before changing the motherboatd?..uninstall any system devices, ide controllers, video cards, etc?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

That should have been done.I didn't start working on this computer until the problems started.
    What's happening is its trying to find the progamable Interrupt Controller,Then the msgsvr32 comes up and shuts the whole thing down,which in turn won't let me overlay the OS.
    That's how it always works they call me in when things don't work.
    3M

You can do an overlay install by booting from the win98 disk and doing the install as normal..it won't erase programs, etc. unless you format the drive. You can also start in safe mode and delete as much as possible out of device manager and then restart in normal mode and see if it helps..yeah, I love getting problems half way through as well
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Thanks man,
    3M