DVD drive only reading 1 disc

Thread: DVD drive only reading 1 disc

DVD drive only reading 1 disc

i recently did a system restore on a older compaq machine. then ran a win98 upgrade for a woman. the machine has a dvd drive in it. the woman just called and is bringing the computer back in. she says the dvd will read the win98 upgrade cd, but not any other. she says shes tried cds, music cds and dvds but nothing works. just that win98 cd. she is really p*ssed. i've never seen anything like this. i haven't looked at the machine yet, she is bringing it in now. what can i try? this is really wierd.
    take care and tempt not the fates

Re: DVD drive only reading 1 disc

Originally posted by Buddy Holly
    she is really p*ssed. she is bringing it in now. what can i try?
    RUN

You need to see the machine first.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

ok,the machine is here now, and it will not read a cd. the only cd it will read is her win98 upgrade cd. i booted off a bootable floppy into dos with cd rom support. it will read her cd, but no other. i have no idea here. what do you guys think?

Try removing it in safe mode and letting it re-install itself.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

The quick and dirty solution?

Put the drive in another system and check it alright,if its not toss it and install a new one if it alright refit it backup,format and reinstall the system to its virgin state.

it could be any of several things virus,corrupt sysyem files/bios,bad CD`s etc.
    D`ont let your curiosity cost you time and money.

I'm assuming the restore that you did restored it to win95?..and that the dvd drive was not original equipment? Since it happens in DOS as well as windows, I would agree with
    Archer..I would suspect a bios incompatibility with the dvd drive..or maybe the firmware in the dvd drive had been upgraded after install..check it in another machine first. What caused the need for restore in the first place?..There are a few new virii that are rewriting both bios and firmware code
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

the dvd is origanal to the machine. when the lady brought in the machine last week, she told me she had started the system restore but i it stopped at the end. i booted the machine off her win98 cd and went from there. everything went through ok. i plugged in a usb network card and d'loaded all windows updates, ie, and updated drivers. my mistake was i didn't try another cd in the drive because it was reading the win98 cd. i assumed it was working. i have since swapped the drive into another system, and get the same thing. i swapped another dvd drive into her system and everything is fine. drive is bad and i'm leaving it at that.

what p*ssed me off about the whole thing is when she dropped the machine off the 2nd time, she blamed me for killing the dvd drive. she said it worked before the install and that i used a "special boot disk" to make the machine think it was ok, then crap out so she would have to bring it back to me. i told her i would take a look at the dvd but i didn't appreciate being accused of breaking her machine on purpose and using shady business practices. i haven't talked to her yet. we'll see how it goes.

Gosh..I wish I had one of those special boot disks..Sounds like her original restore disk caused the problem maybe?..was it for win98?..and if so, why did she have an upgrade cd as well? I wasn't aware that any of the compaq win95 models had a dvd drive as standard equipment..good luck with this lady
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."