Find IP of smartstack switch

Thread: Find IP of smartstack switch

Find IP of smartstack switch

I have a 24 Port Cabletron SmartStack fasht ethernet switch model # ELS 100-s24tx2m. I rescued it from the evil clutches of a dumpster. I know it works, but I cannot figure out how to find the IP address of it or how to set the IP address to the one I want to use. I read a bunch of the manuals from CableTron, but they all say to connect to it via either ethernet (which I can't due because I don't know the ip) Or with a terminal emulator using the db9 serial port connector on the back using a null modem cable. But they do not give specifics on how to go about doing that. Anybody know a good way to set the IP addy on this.

After that I can get to the built in web based manager program. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then its just fun in the dark.

3 out of 2 people can't count.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Strange that someone would throw away such a high priced piece of equipment...

I think I found the same support documentation you found, doesn't tell you exactly how to do much of anything. You might have to contact the manufacturer, or possibly talk to the people that work at the place that threw it away. Maybe they could at least tell you what the IP address is.
    WWBRD?

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    Try this... I love going to the hospital where my wife works, they always have good trash like that. They replace complete systems whenever the mouse goes bad, they just throw it out!
    Those who do not know, are lost...

It was a good night for dumpster diving I also got 4 15" monitors.

That program didn't do me much good since I need the range of IP addresses that the switch is in. and I don't have that either. Hopefully I can find something else to use. Do you know of a good vt100 emulator I can use that is free to download? I was hoping to use the db9 connector and the emulator program to possible get into it.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then its just fun in the dark.

Well... I consoleinto switches and router often enough....

Get the Null cable it requires... Connect it to the console port and COM1 or COM2 on you computer / Laptop....

Open HyperTerm / Telnet app (or similar program)

Create new connection....

name it what ever....
    Choose the com port you hooked to...
    and set it like you would an old 9600 baud modem...

then wait a sec

and press spacebar or enter....

Now you should see stuff com up on the disply.... (might want a password... see Manufacture Docs on how to bypass)

Telnet is alittle different... and i think you need the current ip... soo... stick to A terminal program.

You know you want a crabby patty!!

Can you get a MAC Address off of the device?
    If you can, you can set your own IP Address to it.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    huh, 15s! lol, the hospital where my wife works throws out 17"s as the systems get problems, I've ended up with about 30 17" Gateway Trinitron monitors. They're replacing them with 17" LCDs, so I can't wait!!!!
    Those who do not know, are lost...

thanks to spongebob for the info. I got into it. It looks like it never had a password or an IP address assigned to it. I guess they just used it as a hub or something. Thanks again for all the help.