win98se retail

Thread: win98se retail

Question win98se retail

I can't seem to find anything on the web telling me which files are different on win98oem and win98 retail.... does anyone know the difference or can post any links?

thx,

jim

retail = bought from shop,
    oem = comes with computer manufacturs ie dell, compaq.

(I think)
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

i am looking for which files are different.... i think only precopy2.cab and within the cab setuppp.inf and layout.inf

The retail and OEM versions should be the same. OEM stand for "Original Equipment Manufacturer"OEM's usually come preloaded in a new computer. In my experience, and I may be wrong, they ARE the same product.

Why, what's your problem?
    Bouncy Bouncy

They are the same product

Retail comes in a box w/Other software and a bigger book

OEM is a CD and small book - No box or other software you don't need
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

It has been my experience that the only difference in the products is the fact that M$ will not answer your support questions via phone. Was a long time ago when I last tried to ask M$ a question via telephone but they first asked my product id and when I gave them the number with OEM in it they said I would have to contact my vendor (Packard Hell) to get technical support. Otherwise they are identical.

Arrow It's up to the Original Equipment Manufacturer....

Originally posted by aspenjim
    i am looking for which files are different.... i think only precopy2.cab and within the cab setuppp.inf and layout.inf
    Dependant on the vendor many files might be different, because of unusual drivers or even tweaks to the system, which they might add to allow for particular situations or combinations of hardware.....

They can as has been said be completely the same but it depends who you buy it from.

Okay, I've finally solved the mystery. I've been fishing for this answer for a month now. When i try to do an unattended install with an oem version of win98 or millenium i get this problem...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q263281

this "behavior is by design and cannot be changed"

so according to this site...

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?...ct=article.cfm

the precopy1.cab file is different. When i substituted this single file into the win9x directory, I got a completely automated setup of millenium. The quest began. Today I finally 'acquired' the precopy2.cab from a retail version of win98, made the above substitution and got another completely automated setup.

What happens when I generate a msbatch.inf file using the win98 batch utility with an OEM version of win9x is setup stops in the middle of install and makes me click next for my name, accepting the EULA and accepting the product key (which is already keyed in). See the ms site for further explanation.

There is virtually no documentation on this on the web.

Now if I can get the browser to upgrade automatically using the tool in IEAK, I will have accomplished my mission.

Cool

Oem : manufactuers buy bulk and have some control to customize

Retail: wysiwyg -what you see is what you get