Win 2000 & Win 98 networking help

Thread: Win 2000 & Win 98 networking help

Win 2000 & Win 98 networking help

i have to go on a house call tomorrow for a networking problem. the guy has 2 machines, one running Win 2000 pro, the other Win98 se that are connected through a hub. the guy says the win 98 machine cannot open the Program Files folder on the 2000 machine, it can read and open everything else, just not that folder. it did work, but he reloaded win 2000 and it has stopped. he needs it to read program files for the Quickbooks program on the 98 machine. i'm not a networking expert so what are something i should look for?
    take care and tempt not the fates

Instead of sharing the program file folder, just share the quickbooks folder ONLY.
    After sharing the folder, you will want to map a drive to it, then open your files from the mapped drive.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

i haven't looked at the machine yet, i'll be there first thing in the morning, but the customer said he shared the whole c drive. not just the program files folder. could the problem be with that?
    take care and tempt not the fates

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    If the shared folder is on the W2K box, you will want to go into user manager on that box and create an account that has the same username/password that he is logging into the W98 box with. When sharing the folder or hard drive, give that user full access and his problems should disappear.

Just make sure you tell him that if he changes his password on the win98 box, he'll have to do the same for that username on the W2K box.
    WWBRD?