reinstall Windows 98SE and peripherals

Thread: reinstall Windows 98SE and peripherals

reinstall Windows 98SE and peripherals

I need to reinstall my windows 98se on my PC and i want to know if is better
    - to let all the peripherals (as sound card, usb zip drive, usb webcam, network card, modem, wacom tablet..), format C:\ and install windows or,

- to take off all peripherals before formating and installation.

thanks in advance

cheers

laurent

It's better to have all the devices plugged in and on
    Make sure you have current device drivers ready
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

Why would you ever want to do a thing like that? Leave the stuff in, let Windows install it if it can. The only time you should take pieces out during an install is to troubleshoot a hardware issue. As well, always check the Hardware Compatibility List if you are ever unsure of a component.

I agree leave them in. Ya_know back in the day of early win95 we did find it easier to leave components out until after windows was installed sometimes. Other than that I don't know why you would take everything out unless there was problems with irq or some such.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

merci beaucoup..

...thanks a lot everybody

cheers

laurent

I'd like to add my two cents.

Win98se is NOT like WinME. WinME requires that you disconnect everything before you do the istall. Perhaps THIS is the reason for the confusion. I have had to reformat and reinstall Win98 and Win98Se many times over the last several years and I have NEVER had to disconnect the periferals beforehand.

Let us know how it goes.

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Question I know you are more confus-ed than I am but....

Originally posted by Orangeman
    ......Win98se is NOT like WinME. WinME requires that you disconnect everything before you do the istall. Perhaps THIS is the reason for the confusion.....
    Go on then Orangeman, bearing in mind what I already said, where did you get this little pearl of wisdom from....?

Are you telling me that every ME install I do should entail me taking machines to bits....??? Are you ?

I was always under the impression that you should disconnect all external hardware i.e USB devices and printers prior to installation of any "home" type operating system to help ease system resorce confusion.

Talking Do your own impressions if you like...

Originally posted by Archer
    I was always under the impression that you should disconnect all external hardware i.e USB devices and printers prior to installation of any "home" type operating system to help ease system resorce confusion.
    Yeah when it don't work first time.....

The whole point is that setup (on 9x) does a lot better job of arbitrating resources than plug & pray can ever hope to. If you leave the installs of all the external peripherals 'till later you rely on plug & pray doing its stuff correctly, do it whatever way you like!

I mean this when I say peripheral....apparently you mean external peripheral....

Re: I know you are more confus-ed than I am but....

Are you telling me that every ME install I do should entail me taking machines to bits....??? Are you ? [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually if you'd like to take your machine to bits you are welcome to it. (as long as you can get back together again)

Seriously, I am quoting Gateway Tech Support. Keep in mind that I only had WinME for six days before I reformatted and reinstalled 98. Obviously I'm not and never will be expert on WinMe. However each time I re-installed it, six times in six days, I was advised by Gateway to take off the periferals first.

You have obviously found a better way to do it. It seems they've made some improvements since then.

Good Luck,
    Orangeman

PS. I'll keep my '98 just the same. (Just to be on the safe side)
    Bouncy Bouncy

Actually it sounds to me like the two of you may be talking about different things to some extent. Personally if I was reloading windows of any version I would take the external stuff off, but leave all the internal components connected. In the days of Win95 sometimes you would want to leave the sound/modem/nic unconnected until windows finished loading and then go back in and reinstall them. With 98/98se/me you don't need to do that. Some external things though don't WANT windows to install them... Hp printers for one. you use their install software, some cameras want to be connected first and some want the software to be installed before it's ever connected!
    IMO it's just easier to install all the external stuff after windows finishes loading and sorting things out.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Talking I know!

Originally posted by Shard92
    Actually it sounds to me like the two of you may be talking about different things to some extent......
    Errrr I know what a peripheral is ....(from my own link!)
    Any part of a computer other than the CPU or working memory, i.e. disks, keyboards, monitors, mice, printers, scanners, tape drives, microphones, speakers, cameras, to list just the less exotic ones.
    , but as I said Orangeman ('scuse his confus-ed-ness ), means external peripherals like printers, scanners etc, I was trying to correct him nicely ! .... but it passed him by.....

So yeah if you have stuff that plugs into the case after you've put the cover on, unplug it if its not needed for boot(mouse/ K/b, whatever...) when & if you want to setup an o/s, so two gold stars for Orangeman & two de-merits for me for failing to explain myself clearly...... - that'll teach me for trying to be good!

Re: I know!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by confus-ed
    [B]Errrr I know what a peripheral is ....(from my own link!) , but as I said Orangeman ('scuse his confus-ed-ness ), means external peripherals like printers, scanners etc, I was trying to correct him nicely ! .... but it passed him by.....

You're right confus-ed, (as usual)

It did pass by me. I thinking more of modems, sound cards, video cards etc. Sorry

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Seriously, I am quoting Gateway Tech Support.....Orangeman

There's yer problem..................
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!