XP and WAN's

Thread: XP and WAN's

XP and WAN's

I have two Windows XP computers that are in seperate locations and I would like to link the two together and map Computer 1's harddisk from Computer 2. Both PC's have got DSL and Static IP addresses. Has XP got anything built-in to allow this or will I need to purchase a new peice of software???

Thanks, D@ve

if they have static IP addresses you can map the drives via

\\IP_ADDRESS\share_name

in order to do this you nned to have the firewall function turned off and also have a user account setup on each machine.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by tha 4NiK8R
    if they have static IP addresses you can map the drives via

\\IP_ADDRESS\share_name

in order to do this you nned to have the firewall function turned off and also have a user account setup on each machine.
    That is kinda dangerous...no encryption. Just setup a vpn between the two sites.
    To each his/her own.

Does Windows XP have bult in VPN?

Originally posted by CJK
    That is kinda dangerous...no encryption. Just setup a vpn between the two sites.
    Of course you are correct on the security. You can setup a VPN with SonicWALL devices, which are inexpensive and work great for small environments.

SonicWALL
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

I have usually set up an FTP server on one or both of them and transferred files that way.

XP Pro comes with IIS which has a built in FTP Server.

This does NOT accomplish the goal of actually getting a drive mapped with a letter, but it does allow you to transfer files between sites.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"