June 9th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Cave, another quick thought. If I remember correctly, some TVs which have more than one scart AV in only support SVideo through one of the Scarts. Have you tried the different combinations in other Scart connector's?
June 9th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Ok TheRippa, it seems our connections, software and hardware are mostly likely!
I have an acer travelmate 4100wlmi laptop with an ATI graphic card inside. My tv is a "diginium" (it's a cheap brand) with 2 scarts as inputs at the back and a compositive video at the side. It doesn't have a s-video entry. So i need the adaptor. My ATI graphic card is also set by country, in my case, it's Portugal, so in the case of the graphic card it's PAL B,G or H. My TV specifications are PAL B,G 60Hz. Nothing wrong so far i beleive! My Tv also states in the manual that the scarts entry can be used to connect a DVD player or a computer but with no more specifications on connecting the cables. I tryed both scarts entry "av->1" and "av->2". The pins i have them connected the same way you have in your diagram! I used a thin piece of metal and connect the pins, and i can actually look at the cable and see that both of the upper pins are "touching" the metal!
My Tv also "states" in the manual that it is possible to change in the "av->1" entry the input as VCR or decoder, in case if you are using a TV channel decoder, which it's not the case, so i didn't try that option yet, so i beleive that's not the problem! The s-video cable and the adaptor are new!
Can't figure out what seems to be the problem!
June 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Are you sure it's not a black and white TV?
As far as I know, the things which can cause black and white output are as follows:
1) Having the incorrect mode set i.e. NTSC instead of PAL (it may be worth trying different modes)
2) Your TV not supporting SVideo in through SCART. Note that the Scart adapter you have simply makes the SVideo cable "fit" into the Scart socket, but your TV has to actually support one of these adapters (SVideo through Scart). If it doesn't, only the luminance will get through (black and White), this is the problem that my piece of wire fixes.
3) AV modes on the TV. I've seen some TVs where it will have more than one AV mode available for each AV-in. It may be necessary to cycle further through the AV modes manually (usually by pressing AV on the remote) to find the version of the input which supports SVideo in through Scart. Note that if your TV supports SVideo in through Scart, get rid of the piece of wire.
4) If you're using a laptop, I assume you use the function key to cycle between displays modes (i.e. Laptop only, external display only, both). It may be worth trying external display only. On my setup, I have both displays on at once and the desktop spanned onto my TV, I just drag Windows Media Player onto it before clicking the full screen button.
Other than that, I don't really have any more ideas, let us know how you get on.
June 15th, 2005, 05:50 AM
1) The Modes of My Tv are Pal B,G (especified by the TV Manual), the mode of my laptop is set by country, in my case, Portugal, Europe, so the ATI Display configurations are also set to PAL B and G, so I guess that's not the problem!
2) and 3) In the case of S-video through scart, i can't tell if that's the problem. The only thing that I know it that my TV is a "Diginium" (cheap brand) flatscreen. and I bought it recently. It has a composite-in entry in the rigth side of the TV and in the back it has 2 scarts entry. In the TV manual specifications about the scarts entry, says that you can use those entrys to connect a DVD player or a computer but it doesn't explain nothing more about connections or something else. I tryed connecting with the piece of wire you adviced and without that piece of wire! I also tryed both the entrys and I also pressed the "av" button several times, the tv only changes between "av-1" and "av-2". So i can't tell if i should have some entry saying that the tv is about to receive a s-video entry, but again the manual says that you can connect a computer to the Tv by the scarts entry!
4) The display mode of the Tv i tryed all of them! Only laptop (of course this is not an option), laptop and Tv, and tv only!
Always black and white!!
Can't figure out what should be the problem!!
June 20th, 2005, 09:21 AM
YOU ARE A TRUE GENIUS!!!!!
I had the 2 upper pins of the s-video cable wrongfully connected. when you looked at the connection everything was normal, but the Tv was still in B&W. I tryed to connect the pins once more with another piece of metal and noticed that the display went completely black, so i certified that only the upper pins were really connected anda voilá! Color on the TV!!
Now, my only problem are few adjustments! I have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro graphic card, and i want to play my divx movies on my TV. When I use the mode of display in both the TV and the laptop, and i open a divx movie with BSPlayer, my laptop shows the movie with subtitles on, and starts the movie in it's original size (which means, the movie isn't started in full screen mode, i usually change it to full screen mode manually when i want). The Tv, at the same time is showing the movie in full screen, with an excelente widescreen mode covering the all area of the TV, completely excelent image! The only problem is that i can see the subtitles in the movie window of the bsplayer in the laptop, but i cannot see the same subtitles in the tv display! Do you know a way of forcing the display of the subtitles in the TV!
Just another thing, can i put this forum url as a link in other foruns that i was trying to search for help in the b&w problem? It seems a lot of people are having trouble in the display of colour in their tvs! And you're the one who solve the problem!
June 22nd, 2005, 08:25 AM
I have TV ("Black Diamond" aka Mitsubishi) with 2 scart 1 compasive and S-Video inputs. my video card is Ati 9600pro VIVO. I have tried all metods of connection to tv, but I still recive B&W picture....
I don't realy understand what can couse the problem.
Before that I had Sony old model TV and I can get color PC2TV only after restarting PC, but my Sony Vaio Laptop was working fine with Sony TV. before that I had Beko cheap TV and had no problem as well. Now this BlackDiamond TV shows me only black and white from my PC and Laptop. I have cheked diferent system PAL and NTSC with my VCR, TV supports all of them...so......any ideas? ( chaging tv is not an option )
Last edited by KoshaK; June 22nd, 2005 at 08:31 AM.
June 22nd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Ok, you are connecting from s-video directly to s-video?
June 22nd, 2005, 10:47 AM
I tried different ways like
PC S-Video --- Tv S-Video
PC Composite --- TV composite
PC Comp/S-Video --- TV Scart adatper
and I was trying to connect this two pins on s-video cable as well, no luck..
....today on www.svideo.com site I ordered new s-video to scart addapter, them promising that I will have color video from PC. That the adapters they have is some sort of super-puper adapters and averithing will work maybee...will see
Last edited by KoshaK; June 22nd, 2005 at 10:50 AM.
June 23rd, 2005, 04:23 AM
Ok, be carefull KoshaK. I'm not convinced that your problem is on the cable. That kind of special cable and the connection of the 2 pins are for converters of s-video to scart. If you have a connection directly of s-video to s-video, you shouldn't have problems in colour. So are you pretty sure that your tv setup is rigth? Since you have already tryed to connect your pc to other tvs with no problem in colour, than the problem isn't neither in the cables or pc or connections. Did you check the manual of your tv? Maybe there are some specifications either if your Tv is Pal or NTSC.
June 23rd, 2005, 05:42 AM
it's supports NTSC and PAL....however I tried changing system on my video card without any progress
I will try another TV
June 23rd, 2005, 07:34 AM
Ok, but wasn't what you did before? Didn't you tryed on other tvs and it worked?
June 23rd, 2005, 08:32 AM
as I wrote before, different Tvsets reacted diferent, Beco was working with no problems, Sony with my PC shows me in color only after restart PC, my Old Toshiba was working randomly without any reson can show in color or be back to black and white without no reason, this one Mitsubishi do not shows me color regardles my connection or any other "treatments".....
June 23rd, 2005, 09:10 AM
yep, that's weird... Don't you have some specifications on your tv manual? Maybe there is some kind of trick on your tv that you'r missing... I saw somewhere that that are tvs that you have to press several times the "av" button on your remote control to give you the right channel. Also there are some tvs that only accept s-video in scart 1 or scart 2 (don't know what is the one).
Try ask for help here:
Hope someone can help!
June 23rd, 2005, 09:31 AM
any way I so sad, that I ordered DivX Player ;o] to wath my divX movies ;o]
June 23rd, 2005, 09:58 AM