Just black & white output on TV - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Just black & white output on TV

I mean stationary DVD/DivX player not software

humm ok!

I don't even have a DVD/Divx Player! And don't want one! I have a dvd drive in my laptop, So I use my laptop for everything! See a DVD a Divx, all of them just connecting to my TV!

I was using DVD drive in my PC as well, but now I can't be course of TV!!!

Just don't give it up! Try another TV with same connections, or try that special cable. Or at least try to figure it out what's the source of the problem.

Is it the cables?
    Is it the connection?
    Is the problem on the pc? Or in the graphic card display properties?
    Is it the tv specifications?

If You can't figure out what's the problem you can't solve it!

i have a ati radeo 9800

in the back there is a Svideo port

and i am using the cable that came with my graphics card

its a cable that goes from s video to composite

i plug it into my tv and its black and white..

i read the forums and tried a lot of tht hitngs they did,, it doesn't work

Radeon/B&W TV image

Hi, I have an ATi X800 Pro card and I connect my TV through a S-Video to Scart cable.

The problem is that I'm getting only black&white images on the TV.

Before I had a Geforce 4 MX card, and there the same problem; but after switching in the drivers from s-video to composite output it worked successfully with colors (even if the cable is s-video).

In the ATi drivers it simply says "s-video/composite" but I cannot "hack" it to composite, which worked for me with the Geforce card.

The standard used is PAL (doesn't matter which PAL mode (D/B/G...), everyone worked for me with the Geforce).
    It's an old TV set but at least before it worked in color mode...

Can you help?

Hi there!

Did You try TheRippa advice of connecting the 2 upper pins of the s-video cable before connecting to the scart adaptor?

I didn't try that yet but since it worked with the nVidia card, there must be a solution for ATi too…

Thumbs up

Bingo! I got color output to my TV!
    Thanks to TheRippas advice; but I couldn't connect the two upper pins on the S-Video output because the cable is somehow combined, it only has S-Video at one end and SCART on the other.

So I opened the SCART connector and combined pins 15 and 20 (luminance and chrominance, the same thing as linking the two upper s-video pins). I simply cut a wire from the old tv-out adapter and put it at both pins 15 and 20 somehow until it worked .

BTW, is there some TV Tool for ATi cards? Because I cannot adjust the output to occupy the whole space on the TV screen and enabling "overscan" on the other side is a little exagerated.

Thanx a lot

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by TheRrippa
    THE SOLUTION !!!

OK, I had the same problem and I was severely narked as I had just spent 20 quid on an S-Video cable and a converter to SCART only to discover it was in Black and White.

After looking through all of your forum answers and finding no help whatsover, I went for a bit of creative thinking. I read somewhere that if your TV doesn't support S-VHS in through the SCART socket then only the luminance will get through into the composite in. I got to thinking that if I could force the chrominance in through the same pin then I would have composite in. After looking around I found the pinouts for the S-Video cable. If you have a cable with four pins, the chrominance and luminance pins are the two at the top (assuming you look at the pins with the plastic key at the bottom. Simply get some fuse wire (or a paperclip, or some tin foil, or whatever) and strap these two pins together. Simply create a link between the two, plug it back into the SCART plug converter thingy and, hey presto, colour output.

I hope this helps you all

TheRrippa.

YOU HERO ;-)))) THx TheRrippa - been trying to sort this out on my system for months with no success at all! BTW although this focusses on s-video, on my system I got the same result (or LACK of result!) using the RF - I bought s-video cable to try that cos I was at a loss!!

U r the dude ;-)

Thanks TheRrippa, now i also have color

But i still have one small problem, when i leave the piece of metal that connects the top pins in it, it won't recognize that a tv is attached on the next boot. So i have to remove it, then connect the cable to my pc, then it recognizes a tv is attached, so i can enable extended desktop, and afterwards put the piece of metal back in.

Is there a way to avoid removing the piece of metal all the time?

Unhappy I hoped it would work

Hi

The advice didn't work for me (ATI X800). The strangest is that I didn't have problem with the Radeon 7500 and the 9200.

I tried all (s-video=>composite cable=> s-video adapter on the peritel TV, s-video=>s-vdeo cable=>svideo...) with and without the 2 upper pins of the s-video cable connected. I tried all the format (PAL, NTSC...)

It's boring me. Why did it work with the others Radeon card ??
    Do you have an other advice in your hat ?

I try again and now it works. Maybe a bad connection between the 2 pins.

Thx.

Hey everyone:

I have somewhat of the same problem. Like everyone else, my TV screen is showing up a black and white image of my desktop. However, this is the way im connecting:
    There's an s-video output port on the back of my laptop. The port has 7 pins. That goes into an adaptor w/ 7 pins that looks like this: http://www.notebooksrus.com/dell_lat...ctv_70tvd.html
    It's pretty self explainatory where I go from there...I put a yellow connector into the yellow on the adaptor and the other end goes into the yellow on my TV (for sound I have a different cable).
    Everything was fine until a few months ago. All of the sudden...WHAM...color disappeared. Ive replaced every part to make sure it wasnt any of them but there is _still_ no color. So I've concluded that there is some setting on my computer that got screwed up for some reason. Ive gone through my graphics card settings (nVidia GeForce 4) but I cant find anything.

Any ideas?

-evil

More Probs

Please can somebody help. I have a Dell Latitude c640, I have connected a s-video to scart, crossed the pins, got colour, but desktop is split over laptop and tv screen. How can i get the image from my laptop to appear on the tv the same.
    Last edited by crossy1973; May 7th, 2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Update