New Linux User
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Linux User

New Linux User

well im downloading red hat linux. because i never used it before and i want to give it a shot, im going to make a duel boot. so i'll have linux and win2000. also i need to do some labsl for my lan class and i need a linux o/s.

how many of you guys use linux? do you like it? is there alot of game compatiblilty with it?

i wont be able to install it till tomarow i guess, according to my download time i have 5 HOURS and 4 minutes to go

im getting it off the red hat linux website

Hello Hello, Yes hello to me and hello to you, I am the Crap On and i live in a zoo and its such a friendly old zoo and such fun you'll enjoy yes you will everyone, every two will enjoy it, every three, every four. so come visit my zoo and come up on four.

http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

I had a little tinker with mandrake, found it easy enough to install and I had done my homework - it natively supported all the kit I was using, including a usb modem! But since then I haven't done anything with it. For your dual boot you will want to put your windows os on first and linux on last.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The Red Hat version 8 has a very friendly installation procedure [as our last linux post].
    I`ve tried it on and off for the last couple of weeks and found it very user friendly,updates are dead easy via the included link to the R.H. site [just needs name and password registration] it will scan your system and offer a list of available downloads.
    Still trying work out how to get it to network with my other PCs, I will have to look up more information.

Internet Linebacker
    I got a linux box at home I haven't screwed with in months. It's running Mandrake 8, and it's my favorite dstro currently.

Yes I run redhat 8.0, netbsd, freebsd, yellowdog linux, and gentoo linux among with win2k and win xp at home and work.

if you need any help just post it or PM me.

oh if you are going to dual boot, heres some tips

- backup your system first
    - Id install linux before windows, windows screws up the partition tables sometimes.
    - More tips on partitioning with linux

1) make the first partition 150MB and point it to /boot
    2) make a second partition little more than the size of your ram, like 256 MB make the partition 320MB and point it to /swap
    3) now here is were you want to make a pritition for your main linux parition, make it any size, smallest 3 gb to whatever and then point it to /

/boot
    /swap
    /

now, you can have red hat do this autmaticly, but its best to do it your self so you know where everything is, and at what size.

now theres a section for the boot loader, it will try to install grub on default I recomend lilo, I cannot stand grub.

there should be a option in the same window to use LBA32 enable it, you will get a note saying you dont need it, but yes you will.

now pick what you want to install/configure, then install it.

when it asks you if you want to create a boot disk, I think you should, just incase lilo freezes, you still can boot into linux with the floopy then edit the lilo.conf file and get it to boot. though you did this on the older versions of linux and I have foud you will not need to if, you enabled lba32

if redhat did not already setup your nic card, then you can always do this.

in the command prompt

netconfig <-- a little config script to help configure your nic (if the nic was found)

also another way would see if ifconfig was finding eth0

ifconfig

dont see eth0 then try this

ifconfig eth0 up

ifconfig

still nothing?

then you may want to try and give ifconfig a manual ip

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 brodcast 192.168.0.0 submask 255.255.255.0 up

just some little tips

It found the network card ok and autodetects the IP from the router,uses IE to surf and what ever its called to collect mail [some oddly named program] so far so good
    But danged if I can get it to change the workgroup name from the default"workgroup" to the one I use on the other PCs to file share.
    Them there / partitions asked during the install always confused me on previous editions i.e. /home,/var,/etc just gets me scratching my head

BTW thanks for offers of assistance this old brain of mine can only just manage one OS [or is that two including DOS]
    Last edited by Archer; November 5th, 2002 at 11:25 AM.

Originally posted by Archer
    It found the network card ok and autodetects the IP from the router,uses IE to surf and what ever its called to collect mail [some oddly named program] so far so good
    But danged if I can get it to change the workgroup name from the default"workgroup" to the one I use on the other PCs to file share.
    Them there / partitions asked during the install always confused me on previous editions i.e. /home,/var,/etc just gets me scratching my head

BTW thanks for offers of assistance this old brain of mine can only just manage one OS [or is that two including DOS]
    ok so you want to share files with windows with linux using samba?

if so, make sure samba is installed. and you will need to edit the smb.conf file, now if this is mandrake linux im to sure how they did it.

but you should beable to conenct (thru xwindows) to swat, if installed and enabled which should be.

just open mozilla or your favorite web browser and in the address field type in: 127.0.0.1:901

a little doc on swat.

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/swat.8.html

for more docs goto

http://www.linuxdoc.org

I've tried RedHat8, but I havn't had much time to work with it.

It just goes to a prompt and then that's pretty much it...

I'm wicked new at it but I want to get into it to tinker!
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Originally posted by drewmaztech
    I've tried RedHat8, but I havn't had much time to work with it.

It just goes to a prompt and then that's pretty much it...

I'm wicked new at it but I want to get into it to tinker!
    missin out

when you get to the prompt (since thast how you set it up, which I would have)

login with your account you made, or with root

then

type startx

this will bring up xwindows

theres a start

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Originally posted by +Daemon+

- Id install linux before windows, windows screws up the partition tables sometimes.
    Uh.... thats a kinda dumb thing to do because when you install linux first it will install the boot loader (usually into the MBR) and then when you install windows it will rewrite the MBR. So then you are left with no way to get into linux unless you made a boot disk during the install and then its very slow getting to your linux install.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Originally posted by Radical Dreamer
    Uh.... thats a kinda dumb thing to do because when you install linux first it will install the boot loader (usually into the MBR) and then when you install windows it will rewrite the MBR. So then you are left with no way to get into linux unless you made a boot disk during the install and then its very slow getting to your linux install.
    depends what version of windows, win2k and xp doesnt do this to me.

plus even if you did install linux first and then windows writes over the mbr...if you install the loader in mbr, its very ez to fix, thats why you amke a boot disk when it asks, if you didnt do that, then theres always creating one from scratch. then go into your linux distro then reinstall the loader into the mbr..

I suggest linux first since I have had the widows fdisk make wrong partitions. causing the tables not to be read right buy linux. Also you can install a loader that will be managed by windows, wither using the boot.ini file or another boot loader of your choice.

I always manually partition using fdisk and then format the windows partitons and the linux partitons during the linux install
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Originally posted by Radical Dreamer
    I always manually partition using fdisk and then format the windows partitons and the linux partitons during the linux install
    so you use the fat partitions with linux or you remake them ext2 or ext3 partitions?

No, I meant that I used fdisk to create all the partitions and then went to dos and formated the partitons that were to be used for windows(left the linux alone) then formatted the linux partitons during the install of linux