IDE 2 Not working

Thread: IDE 2 Not working

Question IDE 2 Not working

Breifly, I came home one day and found my second HD on IDE 2 no longer there. Thus began a series of troubleshooting tests. Finally with hands in the air I figured IDE 2 must have stopped working. On to a new motherboard, but guess what! Same exact problem.
    Now before you start accusing my HD, let me tell you I've tried other HD, CD-RW, Master, Slave, Cable Select, DMA. Different Cables. This ones got me Stumped. What Remains consistant is the original C drive With Win XP.. Before I add anymore boring details, does anyone recognize somthing here. Somthing they may have seen before.
    I'm using 2 brand new Asus A7S333 MB's both having the identical problem?

Just a suggestion: Try removing the hardrive etc from IDE1 completely and connect something to IDE2.Boot up with a system floppy and see if you can a:detect the IDE2 drive and b: access it.

Check also for viruses in MBR...

Dazzle card

Its my Dazzle video card. I unplugged everything, put disk on IDE 2 and it worked. So I reassembled the computer, and it was gone again, hmm, So I took out all my cards and put them back in one by one and there it was, add Dazzle card, lose IDE 2. Remove Dazzle card, gain back IDE 2. Try Dazzle in different slot, any and all slots, lose IDE 2. Remove Dazzle, add any other card, get back IDE 2. Its obviously the Dazzle card, which on its own in another system works ok.

So what do you make of that? (besides not likeing the Dazzle card).

Might be causing a resourse conflict for some reason?

Sounds worth pursuing.....

Originally posted by Archer
    Might be causing a resourse conflict for some reason?
    This seems likely.....

So when the machine posts, in its original configuration, does it detect both hard drives, and then on the PCI info screen (just before the o/s kicks in) what resources does it show using what?

What I want to know is this windoze making a muck of your device allocations or is bios making a muck of it.

Generally windoze uses IRQs 14 & 15 for the primary & secondary IDE controllers, bios almost always gives these allocations, sadly though ACPI seemingley having a mind of its own often does some strange things

Try changing from standard pc to enabling ACPI, or if its enabled turn it off .... (read the next bit first!).....

So what o/s ? If this is 9x changing from the standard HAL to ACPI HAL & vice versa is easy peasy, but if its xp/2000 then doin' that means a re-install - Arrrrrrgh!

A note of what resources your 'dazzle' card is using might be useful too.....

When this happens, (resource mis-allocation) 'tis truly a pain right in your

Did you try it with the same IDE ribbon? If not, I'd advised to try it with a different one and make sure it's installed correctly... because I had that same exact problem... and it was the ribbon that was bad.
    "Okay, I'm giving everyone the boot off the servers. I need Maximum Bandwidth!"

i tried

yes I've tested and tried various ribbons, other HD's, CDRW, and a duplicate model of the same MB. Same thing every time, add Dazzle card, any slot, lose IDE2. Oh well....

I don't know if anyone mentioned this... but try flashing the bios with the same or newer version, that also helps.
    "Okay, I'm giving everyone the boot off the servers. I need Maximum Bandwidth!"

already did

done that too, but thanks anyway.

Andy, I did some checking and there is a known issue with Dazzle and the SiS chipset. Check out this link from thier website.

They specify the 735 chipset and you have the 745 but it may be related. You may have to look for a work around or email them.

A Ha

very good detective work there. I'm sure thats it, because when I use the card in an Intel test system I have the problem is gone. Thanks for that post.

Re: A Ha

Originally posted by andy1324
    very good detective work there. I'm sure thats it, because when I use the card in an Intel test system I have the problem is gone. Thanks for that post.
    NP.