Word 97 Problems

Thread: Word 97 Problems

Question Word 97 Problems

Ok, heres the setup. Machine is running Windows 2000 SP-2 with Office 97. This is a Client/Server Setup. The Server is running Netware 4.x and the Netware Client is version 4.83.0.0. All my logon names and usernames inlcuding the computer name for this system are 'TERM1' (Novell,Win2k,Computer Name,Word 97).

I'm Having two problems with this system, Both are with Word 97. 1st one is whenever I open a document it gives me this message --- 'C:\data\document.doc is being used by Term1. Do you want to make a copy?'
    I have no idea whats causing this, I have a feeling its something with Netware, but I'm not sure.

Other problem it with 'Mail Merge': After I get to the 'Create Labels Menu' I have a problem with the 'Insert Merge Field'. The drop-down menu has only one line the says 'AccountPrefixFirstNameLastNameSuffixLabel'. Normally these are all on separate lines and there are a lot more. Any help would be appreciated..
    Sounds like you need a good FDISK

Ok, here's the most obvious. Have you tried reinstalling Word97? Word 2000 is much more stable and you can get it for less than retail at Ebay or Half.com. Both sell copies that are unused.

Good Luck,
    Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Yep, tried re-installing it. Problem with upgrading is getting the company to pay for Office 2000. Although I'm thinking about installing office 2000 to test it. Just wanted any other options first

What level of service pack is office 97 running?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

no service packs installed on it yet

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ok, I put the Service packs on and here is what happened. It took care of the 'Do you want to make a copy?' issue, but it created another issue. The computer has some word documents on the desktop and whenever I open them now; it says that it can't find the file and to check the path. When the files are copied to say 'c:\data' and opened from there, they open just fine. Any more suggestions???

The desktop would be where whoever logs on profile would be... if the desktop is a multiuser desktop - default, it wont be in the user profile etc... you have to make sure they are in the right desktop....

Best of all, don't keep docs on the desk top!

If anyone wants to know I figured out this problem "Other problem it with 'Mail Merge': After I get to the 'Create Labels Menu' I have a problem with the 'Insert Merge Field'. The drop-down menu has only one line the says 'AccountPrefixFirstNameLastNameSuffixLabel'. Normally these are all on separate lines and there are a lot more."

Something in the USER PROFILE causes this problem. I deleted and recreated it and it worked fine. No idea what IN the profile is causing it though.