need to put a burner in a mac *gasp*

Thread: need to put a burner in a mac *gasp*

need to put a burner in a mac *gasp*

K - I know this isn't a MAC forum, but I wouldn't trust anyone else for an answer to this question.

I'm a MAC newb for sure, and I need to install a CD-RW drive in a mac running mac os 9. I grabbed an extra that I had laying around for a pc and threw it in the mac, but of course it doesn't work. It reads CDs fine, but when I run Apples cd burning software, it refuses to see that there is a blank cd-r in the drive and keep telling me to insert a blank cd to continue.

Has anyone every had any experience with this? Is it even possible?

I'm wondering if I just need the MAC equivalent of Window's ASPI drivers or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Mil

sounds like you may have to flash it with a MAC firmware, what is the drive????

Also, what burning software are you using???

I only use MAC OS 8.6 so I don't know if OS9 has burner support..
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

The drive is an LG brand name. It's a 16x10x40. I'm using some free software that apple makes. As far as I'm aware, it works with all recent versions of MAC OS.

I'll check with the drive manufacturer about a firmware change, although I've never heard of it before. It would make sense though, since everything I've experienced with a MAC has been back assward.

Apple has a list of compatable drives......just can't lay my hands on it right now. A good percentage are just plain PC burners. I don't think LG is on the list. Seems to me that there were Sony's, Samsung's, Toshiba's, etc.

I put a Samsung in my B&W G3 and it works fine in OSX and 9.2, using both Adaptec Toast, and the internal Mac program.

Your best bet is to get an external whether it is SCSI, USB, or firewire.

Still looking for that list.......
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    To my knowledge, many, MANY drives aren't compatible with Apple's built-in disc burning tool. However, most (all?) are compatible with Roxio's Toaster.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Originally posted by DocPC
    Apple has a list of compatable drives......just can't lay my hands on it right now. A good percentage are just plain PC burners. I don't think LG is on the list. Seems to me that there were Sony's, Samsung's, Toshiba's, etc.

I put a Samsung in my B&W G3 and it works fine in OSX and 9.2, using both Adaptec Toast, and the internal Mac program.

Your best bet is to get an external whether it is SCSI, USB, or firewire.

Still looking for that list.......
    I second DocPC's response. I have had good luck with Iomega usb drives with macs, desktops and laptops