Asus A7V8X woes

Thread: Asus A7V8X woes

Asus A7V8X woes

I just upgraded to the aforementioned motherboard (along with a Athlon XP 2100+) and now my system is suffering from a really weird instability...

My PS2 ports keep intermittently disappearing (meaning my keyboard and mouse stop functioning). This happens most often when I try to hold down the alt key and highlight multiple objects on my desktop, or try to overtype highlighted text. I'm able to get my mouse back by removing it from it's PS2 adapter and plugging it into the USB port.

Strange, huh? I've already flashed the BIOS to the latest release, and attempted to update the latest VIA 4-in1 drivers, although that doesn't appear to be working (after the install the device manager shows the native XP drivers still in use). I've also reformatted twice and this problem manifests itself everytime.

This is probably what I get for buying a KT400 based chipset before it matures. I'm guessing I'll have to live with it until it's addressed in a BIOS update, but then again it may be a defective board.

Anyone else experience anything like this or have any thoughts as to anything else I could try? I could always go USB until a fix is released, but if it's defective hardware I need to return it ASAP.

Thanks...
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

sounds like either 1, it's a short on the board or 2, its faulty,

have you tried another keyboard and mouse on it?
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

That was my initial thought as well, but I went to the Asus support site and searched their KB for "PS2" and discovered that there were two or three other motherboards that suffered from this exact same ailment that were fixed by subsequent BIOS updates.

It's frustrating as heck, but like I said in my original post, that's what I get for purchasing brand spanking new technology. I guess you just can't go cutting edge without spilling a little blood!
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

Wish me luck then, I'm getting the A7n8x (nforce2) to upgrade from my GA-7VRXP (KT333) next week

I'm gonna run my 1800+ Athlon XP on it wirh 512MB of Corsair XMS PC3500 DDR433 (running at 400 with the most aggressive clock settings )

After this the following hardware upgrades will be two 80GB Seagate Barracuda V S-ATA HDD's

Then I guess I will go to the Athlon XP 2800+ but that won't happen before March 2003, I think.

I'll keep you posted if I experience any problems with the new board.

Quote Originally Posted by condor
    Wish me luck then, I'm getting the A7n8x (nforce2) to upgrade from my GA-7VRXP (KT333) next week

I'm gonna run my 1800+ Athlon XP on it wirh 512MB of Corsair XMS PC3500 DDR433 (running at 400 with the most aggressive clock settings )

After this the following hardware upgrades will be two 80GB Seagate Barracuda V S-ATA HDD's

Then I guess I will go to the Athlon XP 2800+ but that won't happen before March 2003, I think.

I'll keep you posted if I experience any problems with the new board.

I have just installed ATV8X-X and my computer shuts down after 5 minutes. I have an Athlon XP 2200+ processor, 400w power supply, 256MB ram, and no OS yet because the computer will not run long enough to install one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by forwindri
    I have just installed ATV8X-X and my computer shuts down after 5 minutes. I have an Athlon XP 2200+ processor, 400w power supply, 256MB ram, and no OS yet because the computer will not run long enough to install one.
    overheating perhaps?

take the side off the case , stand a 12in table fan blowing cold air in ,,,,and report back in 10 mins

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    overheating perhaps?

take the side off the case , stand a 12in table fan blowing cold air in ,,,,and report back in 10 mins
    How can it be a heat problem when it's not on long enough to even partition the harddrive.

How can it be a heat problem when it's not on long enough to even partition the harddrive.
    With an Athlon? Very easily
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    With an Athlon? Very easily
    I have not closed the case yet and the fans are working so what is the solution.

Banned
    I have not closed the case yet and the fans are working so what is the solution.
    is there a setting in the bios for thermal shutdown?

is the fan connected to the correct header?

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    is there a setting in the bios for thermal shutdown?

is the fan connected to the correct header?
    There is a setting in the bios at 95° and the fan is set at right heading. I'm thinking that it might be the power button but I don't have an extra case at the moment to test it so I am trying to get other ideas.

Banned
    There is a setting in the bios at 95° and the fan is set at right heading. I'm thinking that it might be the power button but I don't have an extra case at the moment to test it so I am trying to get other ideas.
    if it,s a atx board (which it is) ,,then the power switch is momentry contact ,,,,,remove the power switch (2 pin) and join the pins together using a paper clip or summot ,,,,,,for a second.

whilst your at it , remove the PSU and try another one. just coz it says 400 w dos,nt mean it won,t go knackered.

EDIT: whilst your at it , do,es it tell u temps in bios?

if so start it up from cold go in the bios , check temp ,,,,,and sit watching it ,,,,also check fan revs ,,,,
    Last edited by freddy; April 1st, 2004 at 03:39 PM.

Asus A7VX

I am running the same board with a Barton 2600+ With 1 gig of ram 3 hard drives 2 dvd drives and a cd drive, A Dazzle Digital Video Creator II card, a Hercules Game theater Pro sound card, as well as an ATI Radion DDr64vivo card. I had a cheap "400 watt" power supply which would go down in about 2 minutes. I replaced it with a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-cool 510. That was the end of the problem! I would suggest that there may be other power supplies as good, but there are none better! Get that and it will probably last through several upgrades.
    Jim

I am running the ASuS A7V8x board on two computers with the ATHLON 2500.
    I have not had any problems whatsoever. My board is rock solid.

The only problem I have had is when I tried to overclock the board and would blow out the registry and a backup copy would be loaded.
    After, I stopped doing that I have have no problems at all running at the default settings.

You must have gotten a bad board I have read of a lot of users having good luck with the board.

Anyway, I have had no problems at all with the board.

Either you picked up a bad board or its a powersupply issue. You not only have to worry about the size of the power supply nowadays, you have to make sure it can supply the voltages properly. I've stayed away from the 'questionable' brands of powersupplies for some time now and rarely have issues like these. All I use now is Antec or Enermax.
    Last edited by Squiny; April 2nd, 2004 at 11:15 AM.