ie 6 SP1 setup

Thread: ie 6 SP1 setup

Exclamation ie 6 SP1 setup

I am installing IE 6 SP1 on a Win98 (1st edition) machine. The program is downloaded in its entirety to a file on hard disk. When I run setup, I get to point where setup begins copying files then get the error message "IE6WZD executed an invalid instruction in module cabinet.dll at 015f:75a064fd" then setup must close. I've tried dumping temp file, shutting down all running programs with no luck.
    If I try installing IE 5.0 (machine currently has IE 4.0) then I get the same error message but with IE5WZD listed in message instead of IE6WZD. Cannot find anything on MS Knowledge Base about this problem with IE 5 or 6.
    Would like suggestions or help from someone who has seen this problem.

I would go to Control Panel/Add,Remove Programs...scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer...highlight it and then click Add/Remove. Once the next window comes up, you can select Repair or Restore to the Previous Configuration. I would try the Repair option first. If that works, then go to Windows Update. Download the IE 6.0. Once you get it installed, then go back and run the Updates again. There are a few patches for IE 6.0 that will need to be installed also.

Hope this helps you out...Good Luck!

I'd try to update cabinet.dll, perhaps its mangled somehow. My w98se version is 1.00.601.4. Layout.inf, layout1.inf, etc. will list which .cab file it is to be found in, use WinZip to extract it and copy over old one. Or search for a dll database and download the one appropiate for your system.

DLL Help Database
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...linfo.asp&fp=1