stupid customer story
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: stupid customer story

stupid customer story

back in Sept i sold a machine to a guy, nice machine, 1.8 P4 512 DDR, 80 GB hdd, cdrw, 250 zip, 64 mb radeon 17 inch LCD. total over kill for this guy. he calls a week after and says his sound isn't working, i say bring it in as we don't do warranty work onsite which he won't do because he needs the machine. i told him fine, i would make an exectpion this one time. i went down and got his sound working in three minutes (he had the mixer turned all the way down). i was leaving when he said he can't get it to print off his network. i told him i could look at it, but there would be a onsite service charge because our warranty won't cover his printers or anything else he didn't buy from us. he said fine, he understands and to go ahead and get it working. i get it working and leave. get back to the shop and send him a bill for $70 (1 hour onsite). he paid it, then yesterday, 2 months later, he calls b!tching at me because we charged him $70 and he talked to VISA, his CC company, and they said that should be covered under his warranty. and if we won't cover it he should take the machine back. i calmly told him that the machine carries a 1 year warranty, but that warranty does not cover configuring hardware or software not bought from us. again he popped off that VISA said it should be covered, i wanted to say "How the hell does VISA know what we cover and don't cover with our warranties?" i told that we do not warranty hardware or software not bought from us and told him it was all in the warranty sheet that you signed when you picked up the machine. he then called me an @sshole and hung up on me. later he called my boss and blasted me, my boss totally defended me and told him that we would not take the service charge off. the guy hung up on my boss and we haven't heard from him yet today. its been a long two days
    take care and tempt not the fates

Hats off to you and your boss for putting up with sh!t like this. I've been in situations myself but nothing like this, and oh how I try to control my temper. I really do.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

This is probably a case of "some people are too stupid to own computer." However in this case I think its more of a case of "some people are too stupid to read warranties."

In his case I would add "some people are too stupid understand good manners."

You were obviously going the extra mile for this guy and rather than being gracious he was being nasty. There are people like this and unfortunately we all have to deal with them

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Naw, Orangeman. He's just plain stupid.

As my grandfather has said, There comes a time where you must concede that when God was handing out brains, some people thought he said trains and got out of the way. There is simply no other possible explanation.

Hee hee, I like the bit about Visa telling him what your warranty covers.

Wonder what Mastercard have to say about it?

People are just idiots! I would send him another biil for the onsite work you didnt have to do. I charge $650.0 a day for our customers who don't pay maintenance. If they don't like it.. have a nice day *Click* Seems kinda rude to some but its not fair to the customer who is paying for on site maintenance.

Thats pure and simple BS. Especially after you went out of your way and went there to help him when in all reality you shouldn't have done that.

With some people you just can't win and they do NOT get it thru their head....

Its very cool that your boss backed you on it and didn't cave in to the guy!
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

Angry oh this just keeps getting better and better

my boss talked to the guy and they came to an agreement. even though its not our fault, we're going to fix it, but we're not going to take the onsite service charge off. i'm going to format and reinstall his OS and all the apps that came with the machine. he dropped the machine off awhile ago and put it up on the bench and low and behold all four of our "Warranty Void if Broken" stickers were broken. i called the guiy and told him about it. he said "i couldn't get in the net, so i took it to my ISP. they must have done it." i then told him that had voided his warranty. he said he didn't know that and his warranty should be intact because he didn't do it and he didn't tell them to do it. at which point i said it clearly states "Warranty Void if Broken" on the stickers and thats what it means. if anyone other than a company employee opens that case, it voids your warranty and he should call his ISP and ask them why they opened his case and voided his warranty when it clearly stated WARRANTY VOID IF BROKEN!!. at that point he said he was going to call my boss again and he hung up on my again.

god this guy is really p!ssing me off. i can understand how he can feel frustrated and taken advantage of, but he won't let me explain anything to him. he's just so damn rude about everything. i think he sees me as below him or something and not worth his time. i can't wait to see how he feels when i won't honor his warranty because of the broken stickers. and another thing that gets me, what the hell were those guys at his ISP doing? they should know better than to break warranty seals on a machine. the dumb b@stards. god i need a drink
    Last edited by Budd; November 15th, 2002 at 09:08 PM.
    take care and tempt not the fates

sounds like one of those people that you need to tell...

"here is your $70 back, you've voided your warranty, we do not want to see or here from you again"
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Re: oh this just keeps getting better and better

Originally posted by Buddy Holly
    my boss talked to the guy and they came to an agreement. even though its not our fault, we're going to fix it, but we're not going to take the onsite service charge off. i'm going to format and reinstall his OS and all the apps that came with the machine. he dropped the machine off awhile ago and put it up on the bench and low and behold all four of our "Warranty Void if Broken" stickers were broken. i called the guiy and told him about it. he said "i couldn't get in the net, so i took it to my ISP. they must have done it." i then told him that had voided his warranty. he said he didn't know that and his warranty should be intact because he didn't do it and he didn't tell them to do it. at which point i said it clearly states "Warranty Void if Broken" on the stickers and thats what it means. if anyone other than a company employee opens that case, it voids your warranty and he should call his ISP and ask them why they opened his case and voided his warranty when it clearly stated WARRANTY VOID IF BROKEN!!. at that point he said he was going to call my boss again and he hung up on my again.

god this guy is really p!ssing me off. i can understand how he can feel frustrated and taken advantage of, but he won't let me explain anything to him. he's just so damn rude about everything. i think he sees me as below him or something and not worth his time. i can't wait to see how he feels when i won't honor his warranty because of the broken stickers. and another thing that gets me, what the hell were those guys at his ISP doing? they should know better than to break warranty seals on a machine. the dumb b@stards. god i need a drink
    I'll lay 30:1 for him having broken the seals and making up a dumbarse story.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

I'll lay 30:1 for him having broken the seals and making up a dumbarse story.
    Yep, that's what I would say. Never heard of an ISP (in Europe at least) who would even think about touching your computer never mind breaking seals on it.

emr

I wonder...

No can't be, this guy was from the UK....

[13:17] *** Guest ([email protected]) has joined #lobby
    [13:17] {Guest} hi
    [13:17] {NooNoo} hi guest
    [13:17] {Guest} whats the XP equivelant of FDISK
    [13:17] {NooNoo} err fdisk
    [13:17] {Guest} umm
    [13:18] {Guest} dam
    [13:18] {NooNoo} boot from the cdrom
    [13:18] {Guest} ah i c
    [13:18] {Guest} well
    [13:18] {NooNoo} there is a user interface that allows you to create
    [13:18] {Guest} i have a small prob
    [13:18] {NooNoo} and delete
    [13:18] {NooNoo} partititons
    [13:18] {NooNoo} which is?
    [13:18] {Guest} my hard disk messed up, one partition is guffed up.. it doesnt even reconise that it has a file system and the other is NTFS and i can get files back that i thought i had lost
    [13:19] {NooNoo} can or cant
    [13:19] {Guest} is there any way to access the other partition? or have i lost the files for good
    [13:19] {NooNoo} and how did these partitions get into this state?
    [13:19] {Guest} the pc crashed so i threw the hard disk off the wall
    [13:20] {NooNoo} you threw your hard disk against a wall?
    [13:20] {Guest} yea
    [13:20] {Guest} i know it sounds sad
    [13:20] {NooNoo} just the hard disk or the whole box?
    [13:20] {Guest} the hard disk
    [13:20] {NooNoo} sad? no, expensive yes
    [13:20] {Guest} hehe yea
    [13:20] {NooNoo} you have probably damaged that hard drive for life
    [13:20] {NooNoo} I would suggest the following
    [13:20] {Guest} i thought that
    [13:20] {Guest} ah well
    [13:20] {NooNoo} buy a new hard drive
    [13:21] {NooNoo} then
    [13:21] {NooNoo} slave the old one to it
    [13:21] {NooNoo} having installed xp on the new on
    [13:21] {NooNoo} one
    [13:21] {Guest} yeah thats what ive done just now
    [13:21] {Guest} and i got files from one of the partitions
    [13:21] {NooNoo} IF the files are recoverable - that will be your only chance
    [13:21] {Guest} ah well, not happenin then lol
    [13:21] {Guest} dont worry this is where warranties come in lol
    [13:22] {Guest} thanks for the help again noo
    [13:22] {Guest}
    [13:22] {Guest} keep it up
    [13:22] -chatspace.chat.server- *** Notice -- Client exiting: Guest ([email protected]) [EOF from client]
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Re: I wonder...

Originally posted by NooNoo

[13:21] {Guest} dont worry this is where warranties come in lol
    Not quite bub...
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

What the hell is wrong with people!! LOL I threw it against the wall.... LOL give me a break Thats funny hehe

Originally posted by Matridom
    sounds like one of those people that you need to tell...

"here is your $70 back, you've voided your warranty, we do not want to see or here from you again"
    This would be the ideal option...its just not worth the $70 or the hassle. Its just a shame that Buddy Holly isn't actually the boss or i guess he'd already have taken this option.
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook