Intel Pentium 3 CPU's

Thread: Intel Pentium 3 CPU's

Intel Pentium 3 CPU's

Hi all, I have 7 Intel Pentium Processors that basically I can't get to post (800's 667's 733 and 500).

Is there anyway to find out why they aren't posting (I was given them) And was told that someone had tried to run them in a 100mhz bus board rather than a 133mhz bus...

Would that kill them??

Thanks,

Also, if possible where would I find the pin outs for a socket 370 CPU, I need to know if soldering pins back onto a CPU will work or not..
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Re: Intel Pentium 3 CPU's

Originally posted by Garak
    And was told that someone had tried to run them in a 100mhz bus board rather than a 133mhz bus...

Would that kill them??

Also, if possible where would I find the pin outs for a socket 370 CPU, I need to know if soldering pins back onto a CPU will work or not..
    I guess, some of these CPUs are having missed pins?
    Try it and let us know...

Running at 100Mhz FSB should not kill the CPU...but bad PSU could do it - have seen it few times...
    I would try them in motherboard, what surely support these CPUs - P2B, P2B-F,P3B-F with latest BIOS, and newer...

I was told that putting a high powered Pentium III in a lower powered motherboard would NOT kill the cpu but 'underclock' it. You would wind up with whatever speed is the differential between the current mobo speed and the optimum mobo speed. -In your case about 1/4 less; 800 becomes 600 etc.

As for soldering pins back on, you have more courage than I do Garak!

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

what can I say Orangeman, I'm young, impressionable and stupid :P

I found a cool trick for soldering small joints

As for faulty PSU the guy in question uses an Ethermax 350PSU when benching, so I don't think it was the CPU..

Now to find a good board to test with.. any donations???

Yeah,

You can have mine as soon as it dies on me!!

- Which I think will be in about a week,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Garak, there's no reason in principle why soldering a pin back onto a CPU shouldn't be successful when it's a ceramic package. However I don't know how much leeway you'd have with an organic package.

The pins, being gold flashed, will take solder well, but as the surface area to be joined is tiny and solder isn't strong, the joint could break easily.

There is a low temperature silver solder available which is stronger and can be used with a hot soldering iron, but it needs a flux which is somewhat corrosive and would have to have any residue carefully flushed away afterwards.

I'm sure I can remember recovering one CPU this way, I think it was a Cyrix Socket7 chip.

Hi all, I have 7 Intel Pentium Processors that basically I can't get to post (800's 667's 733 and 500).

Is there anyway to find out why they aren't posting (I was given them) And was told that someone had tried to run them in a 100mhz bus board rather than a 133mhz bus...

Would that kill them??

Thanks,

You can find the pinouts on the cpu data sheets here. All I did was a search for cpu pinouts on Intel.com then looked at the PDF. There are missing pins that are called "reserved".

There rest of you questions I believe have been answered. All I can suggest is that if the bios in the board you are testing these on auto detects the chips and you are using chips with a 133 bus, that you turn of auto detect and manually set the chips. Just make sure you set the multiplier the same as they would be if they were in a 133 board. (733 would be 5.5 so it would clock at 550 in the board you are using. and check the voltages.)

hum... i had asked this question a long time ago about soldering a pin on.

i was told, don't do it.....interesting
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

Well , if there's physical damage (broken pins etc..) than I guess you can take the risk and try to re-solder them.

However, check with Intel on the warranty - some of your CPUs may be covered and will be replaced.

Better yet, if you're in good terms with a local Intel vendor they might RMA the chips for you..

I had a P3 800 cpu with a missing pin, and got round it by cuting a piece of hard wire, i.e. a needle and dropping it into hole on zif socket where the missing pin sould be and bingo it booted and has been working great since, it was a bit fiddeley and took about 3 attempts, but much easier than messing about with solder..

Originally posted by TRICKPLAYER
    I had a P3 800 cpu with a missing pin, and got round it by cuting a piece of hard wire, i.e. a needle and dropping it into hole on zif socket where the missing pin sould be and bingo it booted and has been working great since, it was a bit fiddeley and took about 3 attempts, but much easier than messing about with solder..
    thats true.. well hopefully I will have a spare p3 machine soon dang it, can't sell it though

Alright, I have an Asus P2B (slot 1) and 2 slot 1 to sckt 370 converters (I've never had op to test them as I've never had a sckt 370 in my possession but I am sure they are fine) so if you want someone to have a test of those cpu's I'll do it.

It would also do me a favor as I have been given several sckt 370 mobo's to test and dont have a cpu.....(am trying to buy one now)
    'We apoligise for the inconvienience' Gods final message to his creations.

Originally posted by vapd
    Alright, I have an Asus P2B (slot 1) and 2 slot 1 to sckt 370 converters (I've never had op to test them as I've never had a sckt 370 in my possession but I am sure they are fine) so if you want someone to have a test of those cpu's I'll do it.

It would also do me a favor as I have been given several sckt 370 mobo's to test and dont have a cpu.....(am trying to buy one now)
    I'll swap you a cele 500/ cele 700 (known working) for a motherboard Vapd!

Your choice.. as for testing the CPU's I have a board coming in on Wednesday I think.

Acutally, I don't think intel will cover bent pins under warranty -- unless they're damaged in the box (highly unusal). I actually had a processor that had lost a pin and it was in the packaging....even being an IPD, Intel gave us trouble over it.

Craig

It WILL work if:
    -The CPU is still good AND
    -You know how to solder AND
    -You don't burn the CPU during soldering

If you have the broken pins it's even better. If not try getting some from a dead CPU that's out of warranty. I think (but i'm not 100% sure that the diameter and length is about the same with the ones 386/486/Pentium have.
    Next you'll need some silver-bearing solder, rosin soldering flux, a needle, fine tip tweezers, a soldering iron (35W works fine) and an antistatic wrist. Using the neddle put a tiny amount of flux on the spot where the missing pin is. Make sure your soldering iron has a long enough (and narrow enough) tip to reach that spot. If needed get some 1mm diameter copper wire and wind it on the solderin iron's tip to make a small extension. Clean this tip after it's hot and put a small (I mean small!!!) amount of solder on it. Quickly put the solder where the missing pin is. The flux will ensure that it sticks. Repeat the procedure with the pin that you are going to mount (err... don't hold it with your fingers, it WILL hurt!! ). Now remove the tiny extension from the tip of your soldering iron, grab the pin with the tweezers, put it on the spot where you want it soldered and apply heat on top of it. Having small tweezers will ensure that not all heat gets absorbed and you'll get the solder to melt. Oh... don't forget to wear the antistatic wrist and make sure that your soldering iron's tip is grounded too... static electricity is a killer for semiconductors.
    Don't forget you don't want to make a puddle of solder between the pins so just use a very small amount.
    If you have previous soldering experience it should be easy (but I assume you don't since you're asking this, so better have someone do it for you).
    Good luck and keep us posted
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!