Downgrade rights? Ever hear of this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Downgrade rights? Ever hear of this?

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Downgrade rights? Ever hear of this?

Anyone know how this works:

Are you still running Wiindows 2000, NT 4.0 or 98SE operating system in your office and need more PC's with the same? Unfortunately, you won't find any new PC's with these operating systems—Microsoft stopped installing these OS's last summer. Don't worry--we have an even better solution for you. A new PC installed with Microsoft Windows XP Professional will let you "downgrade" to one of these previous OS versions so your office can continue to run on the same Win 2000, NT 4.0 or 98SE operating system. Later, when you decide you want to run Windows XP Pro, just reinstall it. This is all FREE when you buy a new PC with Windows XP Pro preinstalled. Microsoft calls this "Downgrade Rights" and you'll automatically have them with a new Systemax PC installed with Windows XP Pro.

My understanding is that there is no such thing. Just because you have a newer version, does not give you the right to install an older version.

I did hear something like that a while back - the eula can be interpretted to read that if you have a licenced version of XP you can run any other os on that xp licenced machine .... I tried to verify but couldn't work my way through the legalese...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

There's an explanation here:

http://www.flashecom.com/futuremicro...s.asp?pid=1009

although Google links to MS now show nothing for me.

However the HTML version archived on Google shows what was once there:

http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Example quote:

"PCs licensed for Windows XP Professional OEM are licensed to use identified previous versions of Windows Operating System Product(s) in lieu of Windows XP Professional (Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional, Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0 or Microsoft® Windows® 98 (Second Edition)."

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    If the End User chooses this option, it is noted in the Windows XP Professional Product EULA that neither Microsoft nor the Manufacturer will supply such End User with media for such previous versions. The End User must provide the downgrade media and a valid Product Key.

Sounds like they are saying you must still purchase a valid copy of the os you wish to use instead of XP Pro. Nice deal for MS. Buy one computer and pay for two operating systems!

It's not explained well but this is a licensing issue. You can't buy W2K licenses anymore so if you still want to stand up w2k machines you will need to buy an XP license. We've been buying these for a few months now. They are being "referred to" as downgrade licenses.
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Originally posted by storm
    It's not explained well but this is a licensing issue. You can't buy W2K licenses anymore so if you still want to stand up w2k machines you will need to buy an XP license. We've been buying these for a few months now. They are being "referred to" as downgrade licenses.

Ok.... so where do you get the "valid" licence key from? XP keys don't work on 2k or do they?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by techs
    If the End User chooses this option, it is noted in the Windows XP Professional Product EULA that neither Microsoft nor the Manufacturer will supply such End User with media for such previous versions. The End User must provide the downgrade media and a valid Product Key.

Sounds like they are saying you must still purchase a valid copy of the os you wish to use instead of XP Pro. Nice deal for MS. Buy one computer and pay for two operating systems!
    Although--that could also be interpreted to mean, “use any product key and Media you have on hand, even if it duplicates other installations”. The difference is that you have the downgraded XP giving you the legal permission.

When they say, "Valid Product key must be used", that may simply mean that you can't just make one up. Since chances are that you are algorithmically challenged and can’t formulate an equation to generate one, additionally luck is not on your side. But then we already knew that.

you can use the same license key for all your machines. So if you already have a license key for an existing w2k machine you can use that. as long as you have one license per machine your covered.
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Recently here we're moving to Windows 2000. We purchased all XP licences, one piece of XP "media" and one piece of 2000 "media".
    Our XP site licence covers us for 2000 also, so it works out well in a few years when we decided to go to XP, the upgrade cost will be a lot less.

It was some program called "upgrade advantage" from microsoft. I don't think they offer that exact program anymore.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Depends on your license agreement

We are able to install 98, 98SE, ME(why?) 2K or XP on any machine purchased with XP. But it is in our licencse agreement, maybe systemmax purchased this type of agreement.
    Pimps in da' front..... Ho's in da' back..... and Chumps in da' Trunk!

"A One that is not cold, is scarcely a One at all." StrongBad

wever been doing this for a while.. New systems come with XP, we toast it an put NT 4 on and office 97. now when we upgrade in 2 months we sipply buy the select upgrade licence for NT to XP at a 1/4 of the cost and wam network OS updated, and office package.

why, becasue we cant buy license for tehis older software taht we will be using for 2 more months, so we buy a conversion "upgrade licens", and exersize our right to downgrade. prety slick

I work for a certified Microsoft reseller (one of 80 or so in the world) and I can maybe clear this up.

Users can now purchase windows XP with a downgrade option to Win 98, 2000 or win Me. (cannot do this with win 95 or nt4). We sell them a system with the COA lable for windows XP on the system, we install whatever OS they want, and use a special "Gold" serial number from MS to install that OS. The end user does need to own at least one copy of the operating system that they want us to install with a valid key, but micrtosoft does not requiore them to provide proof. We, as the reseller are responsible for the os we install, as well as Windows XP. We do not provide media or product key to the cusotmer for 98/2000, etc. If they need to reinsatlland do not want to install XP, they must use their own media and their OWN id key from another system. Then, when they are ready to move up to windows xp, they can do so.

This is nice for comanies that are all using windows 2000, but want to upgrade to xp at a later date. we sell a lot of systems to the military, government and schools, so they cannot use XP yet, so it works ut well for ms-- they have more XP sales
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

I didn't want to bring this one up from the bowels of the forum, but it covers allot of ground that I was hoping to get past right away.

I was looking more into this for my office, but all that I can find from Microsoft references Volume licensing only, see here for example:
    Microsoft® Windows OEM EULA Changes

We are not using, or eligible for Volume licensing because we purchase only one or two at a time typically. Can I purchase OEM XP Pro (non volume) licenses with some new PC’s, and install 2k? Is there a EULA for OEMs that states this? I actually need this statement from MS if it can be located. I know I could always call them, but I wanted to see if anyone has this information handy.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Ya_know
    I didn't want to bring this one up from the bowels of the forum, but it covers allot of ground that I was hoping to get past right away.

I was looking more into this for my office, but all that I can find from Microsoft references Volume licensing only, see here for example:
    Microsoft® Windows OEM EULA Changes

We are not using, or eligible for Volume licensing because we purchase only one or two at a time typically. Can I purchase OEM XP Pro (non volume) licenses with some new PC’s, and install 2k? Is there a EULA for OEMs that states this? I actually need this statement from MS if it can be located. I know I could always call them, but I wanted to see if anyone has this information handy.

Thanks.
    No, you cannot do this.

the 'downgrade rights' are only available on PCs purchased with a SYSTEM version of the OEM windows XP Pro.

We are a reseller, we have 2 OEM version we sell to customers- the Micorosoft OEM with the holograms, like you are used to seeing, and the SYSTEM OEM, which has OUR company's logo. These OEM cds are ONLY legal from MS Certified system builders. Companies like Dell, HP, etc, have this, as well as a bunch of smaller OEM companies, like the one I work for.

This 'downgrade' does not apply to the hologram OEMs.

Hope this cleared that up....

Joe
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...