Downgrade rights? Ever hear of this? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Downgrade rights? Ever hear of this?

I finally found the documentation...Why is it as soon as you ask for help you always find it moments after?

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/d...rade_chart.doc

Originally posted by Ya_know
    I finally found the documentation...Why is it as soon as you ask for help you always find it moments after?

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/d...rade_chart.doc
    "... PCs licensed for Windows XP Professional OEM are licensed to use identified previous versions of Windows Operating System Product(s)..."

the words, "PC's LICENSED" is important here... this downgrade ONLY applies to PCs that were purchased with Windows XP Pro INSTALLED- COA for XP PRO would have to have been placed ON THE PC from the manufacturer of the
    PC. Keep in mind this DOES NOT apply to a computer that you bought an OEM VERSION of winodws for.

They don't really make a big disticion on the website, but trust me, we have been thru the mill with Microsoft on this one.... we have to be in order to be in the System Builder Program.
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

I have to disagree…please explain where I am misconceived…

If I purchase parts for a PC, and purchase a license for the system, it is licensed. Although not by an authorized system builder, the parts were purchased through an authorized wholesaler for both the PC and the OEM OS product. How could I not be protected with these very words from the Downgrade Rights statement?

I can see your explanation, but it can be perceived the other way too...

You can "interpret' this any way you want, and yes, I agree with you, the way it is worded 'seems' to indicate that this is so.

However, I work for a company who is a direct OEM system builder for Microsoft, and the information that I am giving you is not from the webnsite, but RIGHT from microsoft.

So, do what you want, but the way you are trying to downgrade is not considered legal by microsoft.

Sorry if that sounded harsh, but we have spoken to them over and over about this, and I can guarantee you that I am correct.
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

Originally posted by joelen
    Sorry if that sounded harsh, but we have spoken to them over and over about this, and I can guarantee you that I am correct.
    I guess I will have to call them and find this out first hand...