What to charge for computer help - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What to charge for computer help

Yep, i'm with Adept and Danimal on this one. I sell service and i sell parts that are relevant to the service i'm providing, but i've stopped building and selling systems because there just isn't the money in it anymore. So if i go to a client and his/her modem has blown, then i'll supply and fit a modem or if their mobo is duff, then i'll supply one if i know its not going to be a PITA to get it working with the rest of their junk. Other than that, i try to steer clear of upgrades and new systems...i don't sell scanners or printers and i only sell monitors that have onsite warranties, which i pass to the customer with the comment "If it goes wrong, call this number xxxxx".

So far, its working out a damn sight better than when i was building systems and as its a part-time thing, i actually get time to do other stuff now as well!!
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

I do the ole "whats it worth to ya?" the 3 times I've done that I've got more than I expected, but its always been with people I know personally. I don't dare do it to people I don't know -- the last thing I need is someone to be calling me up saying -=this doesn't work now and it worked before=- BS. grr.

Originally posted by techguy13
    Hey Clammy ya made it to the prairies. Tech shops charge about $65/hour, give or take $10, and often have a bench fee of $40-$65 in Regina. Onsite networking fees are about $85/hour. If you buy parts in town these guys have the best selection and very good prices: www.techtronics.ca , behind Red Lobster on Albert. Unfortunately they are not the best at customer service. If a user wants a new PC built in town I send them to www.pcplace.ca.

HEHEHEHEHE!!!

Funny thing Techguy13. I worked at P.C. Place in the Saskatoon location up until the end of Sept. I was employed there for 4 years.

I'm off doing part time college courses right now.

P.C. Place is a good place to deal with most of the time. But I do know the owner there in Regina does not like selling or promoting AMD based systems, but will from time to time. They prefer to promote Intel systems mostly.

Glad to here you made it to Saskatchewan Clammy!!!

Hope you don't mind the rather higher than usual crime rates in that area.

But we are a friendly folk here!!!