Problem with Microtek 3630 scanner

Thread: Problem with Microtek 3630 scanner

Problem with Microtek 3630 scanner

I've looked everywhere but I can't find a post similar to mine. I have a Microtek 3630 USB scanner with Scan Module 3.51 as the driver. I've owned this scanner a little over a year and in the beginning it was working just fine - I know its not the best but it meets my needs. Now when I need it to scan from any sort of program, the scanner takes a good minute [delay] to start doing its thing. Also, in between and before it does its thing in entirety, it makes a sound like it's about to start scanning but it stops again for awhile and then it continues to do its thing. I use win98se on a Dell with 320 MB RAM. I've tried it in both USB ports on the motherboard with the same results. I also have a ADS 2.0 Turbo USB PCI card installed with the correct drivers; I tried all four of those ports with the same success. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

you mite try HERE ...i think this is ver. 4.13 of the drivers. you probably will need to un-install the previous version before you install. hope this helps.

First of all, my apologies. I don't know how but I mistyped. My version is ScanModule 5.1 and the version at that site is 5.0. I know 'cause I downloaded it and tried to install it. When I saw that it was 5.0, I reinstalled my 5.1 - same thing as before with the scanner. I can't figure it out! If the scanner was going bad then it wouldn't scan at all.

tried a new usb cable?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

You might be suffering from insufficient lubrication on the plastic gears that move the scan sensor, or on the slider bars that it moves on..since it is out of warranty, you could open it and try that. We use a heavyweight synthetic motor oil on a very small bristle brush, and then wipe off the excess..btw, this works well for print head slider bars in most inkjets as well..and you get about 10 years worth in a busy shop out of a quart of oil.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Before I try taking it apart I think that Noonoo has a good idea about trying a new USB cable - I'll let this forum know what happens.

Microtek in their inimitable wisdom [?] has found it necessary to internalize the USB cable on the scanner side so that it can't be unplugged or changed - this is one customer that they lost! Maybe it's just this cheap model. Anyway, when it comes time to buy a new scanner it won't be a Microtek. Actually, the more that I think about it, Noonoo might be correct 'cause it's not the scanner that seems to be malfunctioning but the data being sent to it.

Smile

there may be a problem with the new drivers,i would try the older drivers they have on their site,they may have a reason to not have the newer version on their site
    clauded

"Also, in between and before it does its thing in entirety, it makes a sound like it's about to start scanning but it stops again for awhile and then it continues to do its thing."

sounds more like a mechanical problem..when troubleshooting scanners and printers, it's important to remember that first and foremost, they are mechanical devices..the only data sent to a scanner is..start scanning..everything else that causes the operation to go forth is mechanical. Assuming you are letting it warm up appropriately, open the top and watch the scan sensor..if it starts moving, then jerks to a stop..then restarts..(you can usually see some shuddering when the restart happens) then lubrication is the answer. Unfortunately a lot of them aren't meant to come apart, but it can usually be done. Good luck with the driver replacement
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Here's what is going on. I downloaded and tried to install the drivers at the Microtek site for my scanner. It downloaded fine but would not install due to showing no elements to install such as the driver or any other programs contained therein. That completely has me baffled! So I'm sticking with the 5.1 version since the scanner did work perfectly with it for awhile. I also tried geoscomp's suggestion of watching inside the scanner with the top open. The bar moved a little when the scanner program opened but returned to its home position right away and then after about a minute's delay the bar went through the scan as it should. It didn't get hung up or move sluggishly. Even after the delay it does scan correctly. Maybe I have to live with that [for whatever reason] until it's time to replace it.