[RESOLVED] WIN 98 from WIN95

Thread: [RESOLVED] WIN 98 from WIN95

THE SHEEP MAN

Resolved [RESOLVED] WIN 98 from WIN95

Ive got an AMD K6 233Mhz - Im trying to put
    Windows 98 on my hard drive after having 95 on it.
    I first delete the partition, re-boot, create partition with FAT32, re-boot, then i format the drive and, for a safety measure, re-boot (thats enough of re-booting).
    OK - thats that, now it begins to install 98 - everything is fine, OEM No. in - looks for Hardware & non PnP devices then get the message 'Windows needs to restart' it restarts & a message saying Windows protection error you need to re-start your computer appears.i re-start and go into safe mode. i then do a scan disc.re-start PC to get protection error message every time. i get this every time.
    the hard drive is a Seagate 550 MB (only a small one) is this too small? i have 128 MB RAM - 52 Speed CD ROM Dive - what am i doing wrong?
    Do i have to do anything in Bios.
    My Bios is Award (Version unknown)
    Please can someone help!

Noticed in your previous post you had problems formating a 2.2 gig drive also , is it possible there is a common thread here ? Could your DOS diskette have a virus that is causing this problem w/ both drives ? Try scanning it in a machine with an up-to-date anti-virus program

Cool

Go to search at top of page. Type in Windows protection error and search entire site. I tried it and there are several pages within the last year with mutiple posts for each one. Good luck.
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

Couple of suggestions spring to mind:

Can you successfully re-install Win95? If yes, then it's probably a BIOS issue between the K6 and/or Win98. Some older BIOSes didn't handle K6's perfectly, and Win98 is more demanding on hardware than 95.

Also as a virus has been suggested, if you boot from a known virus free floppy and run FDISK, if Partition Info shows a Non-DOS Partition, you may have a stealth Boot Sector virus like Stoned or Monkey. FDISK /mbr may successfully overwrite it.

Incidentally, if you get the chance to put the 233 into a more recent motherboard with a 100 MHz bus, I had a 233 run perfectly at 250 (100 MHz x 2.5 multiplier) which smartens things up quite nicely. It didn't run any hotter, but then the K6 ran pretty hot anyway.

THE SHEEP MAN

I always have to go back to Win95 which, yes loads well and quick with no probs ..The Bios up-date looks to be my problem-is this a simple download?

Thanx to all for helping so far.

THE SHEEP MAN

I Am looking into the possibilty that the boot disk may have a Virus....Very good point.

If your motherboard has a Flashable BIOS chip, you could download an updated BIOS file and a Flashing utility from the motherboard manufacturers website. You will need to know the make and model of your motherboard. There will be information about the process on the site, read it carefully and if you go ahead, follow instructions exactly.

If the BIOS chip is an EPROM (ceramic chip with the Ami BIOS (C) 19xx sticker over a clear round window) you could still get the update but it would have to be burned into a new EPROM by someone with an EPROM burner. A Socket 7 board probably has a Flashable chip.

THE SHEEP MAN

My BIOS Information

Program: Unicore BIOS Wizard Version 1.5
    Program: Unicore Chip Detect v0.72 2000.03.10
    BIOS Date: 12/31/97
    BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    BIOS ID: 12/31/97-MVP3-586B-8661-2A5LEL1BC-00
    BIOS Eval: #AU4-06
    Chipset: VIA 82C598 rev 3
    Superio: ITE 8661/SiS 6801 rev 2 found at port 279h
    Superio: Winbond 787IF (use 89h) rev 0 found at port 250h
    Superio: Winbond 787IF (use 88h) rev 0 found at port 250h

Does anyone know if this up-to-date or completly out-of-date.
    BIOS is not a strong point of mine.

THE SHEEP MAN

Is there a program to assist me in finding the make & model of my Motherboard?

With the BIOS info from your previous post this page Award BIOS ID Identifies your board as a Lucky Star. You should be able to find everything that's currently availabe for your board here Lucky Star Tech Support

THE SHEEP MAN

Ive been over to lucky star - there is no mention of Socket 7 - there was one AMD (socket A), the next socket on from 7.
    Ive sent Lucky Star an E-Mail asking them if they can help.
    I Also downloaded a program called AWDFLASH - A Bios Input Device - but it wont work on this machine.
    I Dont want to depart with my K6 but if it wont except Win 98 and theres no support for socket 7 then its looking grim.

You're looking for the Super7 boards listed on this page.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

THE SHEEP MAN

OK - I've just successfuly flashed my BIOS.
    Im now using the most up-dated BIOS therre is for my Motherboard.
    Many thanks Sowulo - i had an idea it may of been super 7 but with BIOS, you do have to be 100% sure - its not as hard as i thought it would be...i had the wrong bin file to begin with and got ERROR everywhere - so i went back to Luckystar (thanks KWB) for your help there, and got another BIOS Bin. SUCCESS !!!!!!!
    I Can now attempt installing 98 and will let you know the outcome.....
    Thanks to All !!!!

Looks like I'm late here.
    That's exactly same motherboard I'm running in one of my home PCs. Very good and stable MoBo...
    Anyway,Taiwanese manufacturer should be shamed - Russian corp. site http://www.lucky-star.ru/support/index.html has much more better users support.
    If someone cann't find really latest BIOS file or up-to-date manual for discontinued models, Russian site is only way to go...
    Let's compare both sites, if someone don't believe me...
    Don't hesitate to ask me for help with Russian,though...

THE SHEEP MAN

Thanks Ruslan, And everyone else who assisted me-ive now successfuly installed Win98 and things are looking good - My BIOS up-dated and 98 running smoothly.......i will be a technician one day.

AWDFLASH is the name of the boot program if anyone was thinking of doing the same.
    I Got a step-by-step walkthrough on flashing BIOS - I very much recomend it - Signed only as 'DOC'
    thanks Doc, whoever you are
    Many thanks again to all - Craig (UK)