i have boot up problems
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: i have boot up problems

i have boot up problems

i have a PA 2013 mobo and a ati 128 video card my computer froze and i had to shut it down by the power button.went to turn on again and nothing would happen.a check signal cable message came on the monitor,but computer will not boot.i removed all the extra hardwear in hopes that it would help still nothing and same message on monitor.key board also does not workwont even get lights. I need help bad

What history does this problem have? What were you doing prior to this happening?

As for the monitor, you often get that signal if it isn't connected properly. Wonder if you couldn't be the victim of a power surge?

Did you move the computer's location recently? Maybe you jarred something that needs to be connected?

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

i was deleting a lot of old emails out of my in box and the computer froze i let it sit about 10 min thinking it was having trouble catching up after the deleted all my emails but it was still frozen .so i tried to turn it off by using ctrl/alt/delete and that wouldnt workso i tried the reset button and got nothing then i finally used the power switch.when i went to turn it back on it wouldnt boot. it got is far as the cdrom lite turning on then off.it has no floppy lite and the key board will not work.i've checked all the cables they are pluged in and all looks good

Two Possible Causes:

1) Motherboard damage - have you cleaned out the inside of it lately with a hair dryer or air hose? All you need is a light going over.

2) a really powerful virus that was activated by your deleting email. Try scrubbing it with a boot scan.

Hope this helps,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

that would be nice to do if i could get the computer to run.but i have no way of being able to run a scan, or is it possable to do so with out the computer starting? ive cleaned out the inside.ive disconnected all the hardwear tried to boot it and nothing.then reconnected everything and nothing.
    Last edited by DmnThtHurt; November 19th, 2002 at 02:53 AM.

Re: i have boot up problems

Originally posted by DmnThtHurt
    i have a PA 2013 mobo and a ati 128 video card my computer froze and i had to shut it down by the power button.went to turn on again and nothing would happen.a check signal cable message came on the monitor,but computer will not boot.i removed all the extra hardwear in hopes that it would help still nothing and same message on monitor.key board also does not workwont even get lights. I need help bad
    The key statement is the keyboard lights do not flash. So I assume the fans do not turn either?

Does the fan in the powersupply turn? If it does, then your motherboard has died, if it doesn't then its likely just the powersupply has died... but they sometimes take the motherboard with them.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

There's power there somewhere...

when i went to turn it back on it wouldnt boot. it got is far as the cdrom lite turning on then off.it has no floppy lite and the key board will not work
    You assume away....

Ok, so you get a pulse light on your CD-rom, which to me, sounds like the PSU can be eliminated, for now.

No floppy lite or keyboard pulse, well that would point me towards the mobo, or something on it.

The floppy lite you see usually is when the board posts and detects the floppy drive.

So, at the minute I suspect one / all of the following

Motherboard,
    CPU
    possibly PSU.

As others have asked, do you hear the fans, does the hard drive spin up? Do you get a solid green light on the front of your case?

Do you smell burning? is there any smoke? (sorry, had to add that to try break the ice...)
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Re: There's power there somewhere...

Originally posted by confus-ed
    You assume away....
    grumble... too early... where's my coffee....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Re: Re: There's power there somewhere...

Originally posted by NooNoo
    grumble... too early... where's my coffee....
    Ha, too early??? 6:45am for me.. driving lesson here I come
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Re: Re: Re: There's power there somewhere...

Originally posted by Garak
    Ha, too early??? 6:45am for me.. driving lesson here I come
    Its too late for you ... check your watch ..your posted time is 10.34am!!

yes the fan does work.... fried mobo is what i had a bad feeling that it was..thanks for everyones advice and help

Hang on a mo.....

Originally posted by DmnThtHurt
    yes the fan does work.... fried mobo is what i had a bad feeling that it was..thanks for everyones advice and help
    Its not all it could be, you seem to have some life left so to speak,
    ...went to turn on again and nothing would happen.a check signal cable message came on the monitor,but computer will not boot...
    , if the m/b can pass through the VGA bios post info to the screen then its alive if only just.

If you can you want to test each component seperately, if not at least get down to the minimum so just mem & video. Nothing else, see if it'll beep at you...

This sounds more like the cpu than the m/b, at the moment...

i just fixed a problem similar to this...turn the computer on and see if your CPU fan is working if not try it on another PC and see if it works then if it does then its your mobo. i think NooNoo is right though (and the check cable displayed oh the monitor is a built it feature of the monitor letting you know it is not getting a signal) if the fan does spin it could just be your CPU but you should get a bios beep code if thats the case..if fan does not spin then likely bad mobo and the CPU may have gotten fried also since the fan didnt work.

on a more upbeat note....as quickly as prices drop you can prolly get newer faster hardware for less than what you paid for the defective parts.
    drug interaction precation violation is my past timme!¿!!

Originally posted by obituary
    ... i think NooNoo is right though (and the check cable displayed oh the monitor is a built it feature of the monitor letting you know it is not getting a signal) ....
    D'oh just read the word message, pressumed it was the vga bios splash....

What was that about assuming, perhaps I should learn to read as well, I even quoted it without realisizing...