Cell Phone
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone

Cell Phone

need a little help here...
    I want to get my wife a cell phone for Christmas, just a basic, reliable phone.No bells or whistles.
    So......
    Who would you consider to be the best manufacturer?
    What would be the best company to get service from? (MCI, ATT, Sprint.....) Any help is appreciated!

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    I used to use a Nokia for work, and utterly hated the thing. I have an Ericsson as my personal phone, battery lasts forever, and it's pretty much indestructible, even though it's not one of the ruggedised models.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Sprint, used to work for em and still have the phone, they have great rates and the customer service is unheard of! The only downside is they do make ya buy the phones, (no freebies ) but thats just a minor setback.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

So that's one vote against Nokia.
    One for Ericsson and one for Sprint.
    Anybody elses $.02?

Thanks for the replies Outcoded and Radical Dreamer

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    Originally posted by Radical Dreamer
    Sprint, used to work for em and still have the phone, they have great rates and the customer service is unheard of! The only downside is they do make ya buy the phones, (no freebies ) but thats just a minor setback.
    I don't like the way Sprint does their plans. They advertise "3000 minutes a month!"
    ...then quietly say "2750 night and weekend minutes and 250 anytime minutes."
    Sorry, I'm not going to wait untill 9pm to call someone.
    I use Verizon, and they've been good so far.......except for the crummy free phone.....its the old Motorola Startac, only built much more cheaply. Oh well, if I had a bit to spare, I could buy a better one.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

I'd have to agree that Sprint's customer service is unheard of. After I called and upgraded my Sprint plan they charged me $150 for cancelling my original plan. It took two weeks, two emails, and about an hour on hold to straighten it out but I got the $150 knocked off and they gave me a free month for the hassle. As far as coverage and price, Sprint has been pretty good. I've been around the country and I can usually find a Sprint network in the City. And long distance is included on my plan so... if it weren't for faxes I'd dump my home analog line.

I live on the outer edge of a cell and I've had three phones with sprint. The first was a Sanyo and it worked great everywhere. The second was a Motorola and it lost the signal every single time I used it. I threw that phone against a wall one day and bought myself another Sanyo. This one is a 4500 and works as well as the first Sanyo. It has web and instant messaging, voice calling, etc but the display is basic and doesn't have some of the features of the new phones. I'm keeping it though simply because it doesn't drop calls.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Originally posted by silencio
    I'd have to agree that Sprint's customer service is unheard of. After I called and upgraded my Sprint plan they charged me $150 for cancelling my original plan. It took two weeks, two emails, and about an hour on hold to straighten it out but I got the $150 knocked off and they gave me a free month for the hassle. As far as coverage and price, Sprint has been pretty good. I've been around the country and I can usually find a Sprint network in the City. And long distance is included on my plan so... if it weren't for faxes I'd dump my home analog line.

I live on the outer edge of a cell and I've had three phones with sprint. The first was a Sanyo and it worked great everywhere. The second was a Motorola and it lost the signal every single time I used it. I threw that phone against a wall one day and bought myself another Sanyo. This one is a 4500 and works as well as the first Sanyo. It has web and instant messaging, voice calling, etc but the display is basic and doesn't have some of the features of the new phones. I'm keeping it though simply because it doesn't drop calls.
    Thats odd...they should have restarted your contract, but not charged you anything to upgrade. Likely you just got hold of some newbies.

As for your phone, the 4500 was good, but a bit long
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Still too many options as far as service AND phone types in my search..... I'm lost in the woods.
    Any more suggestions?

I like the base line Nokia

I have a 5190 or something like that and am thinking of getting the new base model. Nokia 3390 Gold. Only cause it has a few more "toys" that I want.

I am currently on Areial...err I mean Voicestream....nope scratch that its T-Mobile now. Service has been good but the company has changed hands more often then I change my socks. Now I heard that ATT might buy them. Anyhow phone and service has been good but its all digital and the coverage off major highways and the middle of Wi is not the best.

Name brand...I have to vote for samsung

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Originally posted by Larommi
    I like the base line Nokia

I have a 5190 or something like that and am thinking of getting the new base model. Nokia 3390 Gold. Only cause it has a few more "toys" that I want.
    Hmmm, Nokia, nice ringtones, logos, games and whatever else.

If only they didn't eat batteries, drop calls, occassionally just refuse to work, make it impossible to send a text message without predicting you want to say something totally different, and, so I hear, kick out more radiation than any other phone.

Don't get me wrong, I used to have one, they're cool, but not really very functional.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

depends where you live

every cell services but AT&T here in california sux. AT&T gets the best coverage in california.

Now I herd Cingular is best out there like in New York. Tmobile I heard was good out there to.

At&t if you have it, has good support in there TDMA network. But you will want to look at the Coverage Chart for TDMA if you want TDMA. Unless you want a GSM phone look at the charts for that. Id go into all the stores and look at the coverage maps. If you dont have coverage why get the service???

You may want to go with TDMA since TDMA has better coverage right now. It can go thru mountains and other things, nice network.

Though GSM I like alot, not fully supported yet. But good. Coverage still needs improvments. Though we are using the 1900mhz range wich sux. Germany uses the 800mhz which works great. we wont go there until about 3 years from now then GSM will spank TDMA. So you may want to wait and just get a TDMA phone right now.

Ericsons has nice looking phones but the recption sux on them.

Nokia is ok, dont reall care for them

Id get a motorolla like the T60 or somthing or Samsung phones (samsung makes the best phones)

If I was you, I would not get a cheap phone. Remember you pay for what you get. Look at the phones. If you see one you like go online and research it first. make sure its one you want.

Oh yeah if you go wih TDMA: you have to punch in all your contacts in the phone (like all phones) but lets say you got a new phone, you will have to repunch them in.

With GSM phones you have a SIM card. so all your contacts are saved on the sim card, all you do is put the sim card in the new phone and bam you got all your contacts.

Just depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend

Im with AT&T and I own the Motorolla T720, its a nice phone I maybe selling it soon (3 weeks old) I want to get a new samsung phone thats comming out.

my phone (http://www.attws.com/mmode/devices/t720.jhtml)

it just came out, so its $300 right now

Thumbs up

Thanks +Daemon+ for the detailed info and all you guys for your input, I really apprecite it.

Banned
    I have been using the same big ol' Nokia for the last 3 years, same battery. Not gripes or complaints, it does what I want it to do, make the occasional call I need to make or recieve. Started with Southwestern Bell then it got eaten up by Cingular and they still do exactly what I want, some minutes call all over my state and not charge me too much. But I am the person who rarely uses a cell, keeps it mostly for emergenices or rare convience and I am the least picky person there is as long as it does it's job of being a phone.

just out of curiosity...does pre-paid service suck as much as i imagine it does...anybody know?