Floppy Disk Images

Thread: Floppy Disk Images

Floppy Disk Images

I have VIrtual PC running on my PC and i want to install Windows 3.11 as a virtual PC. (just for fun) however, i don't have the floppy disks with me...i do have teh contents of all the floppy disks burned to a CD. is there any way i can make a image of the floppy disks without actually using teh disks? (i will try to explain better)

on the CD there are 9 folders, one for each floppy disk. inside those folders are teh contents of the disks

is there any way i can use teh folder for disk1 to create a .img file for disk one and do teh same for each disk so that i can use virtual PC to capture the image?

and just a side question..is has been a while...i need to isntall DOS before i install win3.1, right?
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Re: Floppy Disk Images

Originally posted by delmer_1
    . . . and just a side question..is has been a while...i need to isntall DOS before i install win3.1, right?
    Yes, you need to install DOS first. The reason for this is because Windows 3.x is not an operating system. It is an operating environment residing along side the DOS operating system.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

thanks..yeah thats what i though, but it has been so long since win3.11. is was way before my time...i got my first PC just before win98 was released..so i have only ever used win3.11 for experimentation purposes.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

maybe it's just me, but i wouldn't consider 3.1 Fun!!??
    It's good to be the King.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Right now, I'd take it over XP.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

well, i was just looking for something to do..i figured..i'll play with windows 3.11 for a while. i reall wanted it so i can make it full screen when i leave my desk, and it looks like i am running windows 3.11. but i don't have my dos disks with me, so i will have to wait until tomorrow.

Sounds a little confusing
    You can,once Dos is installed,run the setup from the CD and when asked for the next disk point it to the next in line i.e. run setup in folder 1 from the CD when asked for disk 2 point it to folder 2 on the CD and so on or am I missing the point?

Oh as an addendum I have seen Win 3x installed without a DOS base before now by college students who didnt know better and merely sys`d the harddisk prior to install.

i realized my mistake after i made my first post...after i install dos, i don't need to make images because like you said, i can point it to the CD. thanks for your help..now i just need to find my DOS disks

I also put 3.11 on a CD by copying the disk
    But I just put all the files in 1 directory and it works like a charm. No need to point out other directories (i.e. Disk1, Disk2, Disk3, Etc.)
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

you could use one of the freedos editions if you cant find your own,works just as well.
    D`ont know what your going to run on it though W3x apps and games are a bit few and far between if not very dated.

Originally posted by Archer
    you could use one of the freedos editions if you cant find your own,works just as well.
    D`ont know what your going to run on it though W3x apps and games are a bit few and far between if not very dated.
    where can i get this Free DOS you speak of?

i don't plan on running much of anything i just want it. like i said it is just a virtual PC i can switch back to xp whenever i want to do something important

Try here
    http://www.freedos.org/
    http://freedos.sourceforge.net/
    or here for DR DOS
    http://www.drdos.net/download.htm

There are other links but you will have to do a google search for them.

For dos apps try here
    http://members.cox.net/dos/
    Last edited by Archer; November 20th, 2002 at 05:15 PM.

Originally posted by Archer

merely sys`d the harddisk prior to install.
    Actually that's what SYS does - a minimal DOS install. With IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM on the disk you have a functional Disk Operating System - providing I/O for the standard PC devices and a Command/Batch interpreter. The only extra support Win3.x must have is extended memory access for the real mode loader WIN.COM, and it has its own copy of HIMEM.SYS for this purpose. Also should expanded memory be needed EMM386.EXE comes with Windows, & without looking on the disks, I suspect also MSCDEX.EXE for CD-ROM I/O.

So it could be said that for the purposes of Windows support, a SYS is installing DOS.

well, i found my DOS 6.22 disks, but apparently teh second one is bad, so i couldnt install dos. i did how ever use teh sys c: command to copy the sytem files to the c drive..my next obstacle was getting it to see teh cdrom, which i wans't sure how to do, so i booted to a winme boot disk and started with cdrom support, then started setup from teh 3.11 CD..it is installing right now