Reinstalling Win Me

Thread: Reinstalling Win Me

Angry Reinstalling Win Me

I would glad for any help I could get on this one. I donot want to del my info so I'am trying to reinstalled win me I del the win.com file and the boot from a: and run setup for the win-me cd, it works and all that but when the progress bar get to 65% I keep gettin an error massage ..
    suwin caused a general protection faultin module verx.dll at 0002:24ae do anyone get this error befour and could shine some light on it for me.. I remove all my exponsion card except my video card and still get the same problem

Sounds like a bad stick of RAM
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

Bad ram, or ram timings in bios - try setting the bios to default - reset cmos via the jumper.

It could also be overclocked or the ram socket is bad.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

There were a number of threads in other forums dealing with this, but the most promising one seems to have to do with IE6, if you have upgraded to that before trying to reinstall your ME..here is a quote from that thread:

"I found the solution on another site. The problem has to do with IE 6. Either bring the Internet Explorer back down to 5.5 or just delete or move the directory from the program files and then reinstall Windows ME. You may also need to remove any Windows Media player files out of the windows system directory. "

the same forum detailed an answer from microsoft phone support (you mean someone actually got them to answer the phone?) that ended up with a new install of windows me and all the data files in a different directory that could be accessed, but you probably wouldn't want to have to install all the programs over again. Verx.dll is a Windows ME setup file that checks the version of software on the machine, and this appears to be a fairly new issue with ME, but the knowledge base doesn't have much. Try a google search with just verx.dll Another thread seems to lead to problems with wmp9 beta heres the link to that one:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ve...ftngp09&rnum=1

this other quote seems to indicate that this is a recent problem:
    "What I find very odd here is that in the more than two years since Win Me was first released that there was not one message posted to these NGs that mentioned problems with verx until September this year and now in the last month there have been thirteen threads in the NGs that contain "verx". Even with thirteen threads the problem seems to involve at most just two or three users. This seems odd to me and can't help wondering if the problem is due to the users trying to reinstall Win Me over a system with perhaps IE6 or IE6 SP1 installed who have failed to first uninstall IE6"
    Last edited by geoscomp; November 23rd, 2002 at 01:47 AM.