Internet connection hanging

Thread: Internet connection hanging

Internet connection hanging

I've just done a fresh install of XP and am having trouble with my internet connection hanging. I am using a cable modem and didn't have any problems connecting with IE5.5 under WIN98SE. It appears that my browser hangs and then seems to reconnect. I first noticed the problem with windows update when it was scanning for installed updates. It starts hanging when it gets to 75% and then the browser window goes blank and hangs for about 30-90 seconds. After it reconnects it frequently won't load the next page. If I restart IE after a hang it won't connect immediately. I again have to wait for 30-90 secs for the connection to work again. during that period none of my networked programs can find a connection. When I am using my P2P software I can see the connection start up and run fine for a minute then it starts slowing down until it stops completely and loses the connection. After the 30-90 secs it reconncets and cycles like that again. any ideas???? I'm losing sleep over this one.

Do you have the built in firewall turned on in XP? You could try pinging a typical website during the time when it is working well and when it isn't, and also run a tracert during those times..A tracert would help eliminate problems caused by stops outside your computer..i.e. your cable provider.

is your connection settings for ie set properly? check with your sip to make sure they are set right!!!

isp not sip sorry!!!