NT File Associations...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NT File Associations...

NT File Associations...

I have a user running win NT workstation. he has a file with a .stats extension. he uses various programs to view this file such as notepad and word. he double clicked and chose open with notepad, and accidentally checked the "alway open with this program" box. he wants me to get rid of the program association, but the stats file doesn't show up in the list. i went to view>options>file types, but there is no .stats file. I even held shift and right clicked to get teh open with command and associated it with Word instead of notpad, but it still doesn't show up in the list..i rebooted and it still isnt' there. is there any way to reset this so that when he double clicks on it it pops up with the window to choose which program to open it with?
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Not seeing an option.

What the heck is a .stats file anyway? I take it that this is some sort of text file? You could show him how to shift/right click it and tell him he will have to deal with it.

I made a txt file into a stats file, associated it with notepad, coppied it, deleted the old one and re-establish it but it comes up under wordpad now.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; November 26th, 2002 at 03:52 PM.

i have no idea what a .stats file is. Our company makes engine cooling devices for large trucks (like radiators and A/C condensors) he works in the vibration lab where they hook up this radiator to a machine that shakes it violently to simulate it being in a truck driving over a rough road. they collect data from these machines and i am assuming that is where teh .stats files come from.

i can't just tell him he will have to deal with it. THere has to be a way to reset it to no association. i don't understand why it doesn't show up in the list..unless it has somethign to do with a 5 character extension.

anyone else?
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

There is a way to edit the registry to remove the asociation from the file. I don't know what it is though. Sorry.

Not sure about NT - but every other os - if the file isn't listed has an other or a browse button to allow you to find the exe of the prog you want to use to open it....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

If you do a search for the file what information does it show under type?

i copied the file to my PC and searched for it..it shows up as type STATS file. i don't know what else to do...there has to be a way to remove the program association.

File Assoc.

Not familiar with NT 4 or lower edition

Have you tried to RT click on the file in win expl. and choose "open with"?

If NT is similar to W2K....
    DNRC- let the new world begin.

yeah..we can hold shift and right click to get the open with command, but he wants it so that there is no program associated with it, so when he double clicks, he gets the open with window.

Originally posted by ilovetheusers
    There is a way to edit the registry to remove the asociation from the file. I don't know what it is though. Sorry.
    Yes, this is the answer, but I can not remember where it is stored either. Did you search the registery for "stats"? I use NT at work. If I have time this afternoon, I will try to look for where the extensions are listed.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

that still doesn't help me..it doesnt say how to set it so that there is no associated program.

Use this to get the dude off of your back:

Cannot Remove File Association in File Types Dialog Box

As far as a registry item, I am sure there is one, MS isn't showing you how for whatever reason. I will keep an eye out as well as everyone who has helped so far. If something comes up I will post back...

what about this...do you think this will work?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;184082

I don't know, have you tried it? It looks good to me!

i didnt' get to try it yet, that guy was not here last week...i am about to go try it now...i let you know if it works

EDIT: i just tried it...it didnt' work.

i used teh following command:

assoc .stats=

it got rid of the associatin, but when you double click on it, absolutly nothing happens. So i used shift+right click to set it back to open with notepad. he usually uses notepad to view them, but occasionally opens them in Word. I showed him how to shift+right click to get open with and he seemed pretty happy with that until i can find the solution.
    Last edited by delmer_1; December 2nd, 2002 at 10:12 AM.