Got a question about licences of software....

Thread: Got a question about licences of software....

Question Got a question about licences of software....

For my A+ cert class we are each getting a free copy of pretty much every operating system from MS.

My specific question is, does it matter what edition I use if I own a licence to XP?

Like we have access to the volume editon, if i were to use that edition rather then the off the shelf type would it matter?

I own a licence to install XP because of the free copy of the off the shelf type, would it matter if i used that volume edition.

Just wondering if this is technically leagal or not.

MD

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Its the licence that matters, not the media or the install type, is it the same version of XP? If so, yer good
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

However, licence numbers are keyed to the os type. For instance XP Pro licences will not work with XP Pro SP1 media.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

both are XP Pro

one is a volume CD, no registration with MS

the other you have to register with MS

both keys are different

Does it really matter which I install as long as i have a licence for XP Pro, or is it per realease type?