Can a Website also be an ftp?

Thread: Can a Website also be an ftp?

Question Can a Website also be an ftp?

I'll try to keep it simple, I'm still kind of a Newbie with this stuff, I set up a Website on my server for my Church, in order for my Pastor to update/maintain the content he obviously needs access, is it possible to make it an FTP site as well - or maybe say a subfolder with the pages HE will maintain. I haven't attempted this yet. So I figured I asked now, rather than get frustrated later. I've already set up an FTP, I just wonder if they can call from the same location. TIA

He would have to FTP into a location where the pages and data for the website is stored. If you can FTP into the server where the webpages are stored, you're good to go.

ftp cautions

be careful with making your FTP server home directory the same location as your website home directory...instead of making your home directory of your FTP reside in your web directory... make a virtual web directory in IIS and point it to a seperate directory that you want ur church website to be and then give the appropriate permissions for this directory and then make a new virtual FTP directory and point it to the folder that you just created. then tell the pastor your FTP server information and the name of his virtual directory on your FTP server... ( That way the virtual directory is hidden from the 'public')

bb

if this is confusing please pm me and I will explain myself in more detail.)
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

Re: ftp cautions

Originally posted by bbtech6650
    be careful with making your FTP server home directory the same location as your website home directory...instead of making your home directory of your FTP reside in your web directory... make a virtual web directory in IIS and point it to a seperate directory that you want ur church website to be and then give the appropriate permissions for this directory and then make a new virtual FTP directory and point it to the folder that you just created. then tell the pastor your FTP server information and the name of his virtual directory on your FTP server... ( That way the virtual directory is hidden from the 'public')

bb

if this is confusing please pm me and I will explain myself in more detail.)
    That is assuming he's using windows.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

if you want your web server to be a ftp server also, then just install a ftp server software with the web server software

they all work off diffrent ports

FTP = 21
    HTTP = 80

some ftp servers

one comes with IIS

ws_ftp
    wu-ftp
    u-ftp
    personal ftp server
    b-serv ftp
    u-serv ftp