Something that was never meant to be modded...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something that was never meant to be modded...

Something that was never meant to be modded...

This is going to sound odd and I am reluctant to post what I am going to do (yet). It's nothing evil or anything I just don't want anyone else to see my idea before I do it (if I can do it). The following may seem like dumb questions to some of you and honestly I'm not Joe Harwaremonkey as much as some folks are (though I often wish I was).

What can't you mount a mobo on? Is there are reason that we use metal cases for the most part?

I have seen wood and plastics used in case mods but is there a fire hazard from using wood or other non metal containers/materials? I.E. - how about cloth material that would not directly touch the board?

If I was to use acrilic (water based) paint near computer devices and alowed it to dry before placing them near it - would this be an issue for some reason?

What can be used to mount a mobo to something else?

What can you have touching the mobo?

Where can you not touch it (when on)?

What sort of paint can be used on monitors (not the screen of coures)?

Lots of questions, let me answer these ones for you:

1. How can you mount a motherboard - you can basically mount it to any surface you can imagine, as long as the motherboard is mounted on the standoffs so that none of the bottom is touching anything. Even if the surface you're mounting to isn't conductive, it could damage some of the soldering points on the underside.

2. Most cases are made of metal because they offer shielding against electro magnetic fields.

3. Any part of a mainboard can get hot, especially votage regulators. I would definitely keep any flammable materials like cloth away from it. I have seen case mods where the bottom of the case was lined with material, but it was still kept away from any electric components.

4. I would not touch a motherboard anywhere while it is on. You could get injured or killed.

5. If you're trying to paint plastic with a minimum amount of fuss, then pick up some Plasti-kote at WalMart. You don't need to sand the plastic before you spray paint it. However, painting a monitor offers a huge challenge since there are thousands of ventilation holes which you need to avoid. You could try painting only the front bezel and leaving the rear area alone.

sounds like you're shooting for an art exhibit of somekind. computer mounted to canvas painting maybe.

sounds like a cool idea so if you're not doing it I might look into it.

though as mac pointed out there are some issues to work around.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Originally posted by kato2274
    sounds like you're shooting for an art exhibit of somekind. computer mounted to canvas painting maybe.

sounds like a cool idea so if you're not doing it I might look into it.

though as mac pointed out there are some issues to work around.

What, are you psychic or something?

Yeah, that's it.

I guess that canvas isn't the best thing to use. I was thinking of 1/8th inch plywood maybe, but don't know yet. I was also thinking of a canvas board - canvas wrapped tightly around a hard board. Only problem is that I have only seen these in a very small premade form and i'm not big on making things (no tools, no talent).

The hdd, mobo and psu would be on the "whatever" I use. The board will have a NIC on it so what is the best way to secure it to the board so when the cable is in it doesn't come loose? Also - when I say - "what can I touch" I mean with a fastener. I wouldn't think of touching the running components when the machine is on - there's DC on the board man! I take it that the metal fasteners can only touch the area of the MOBO around the mounting holes?

I was thinking of removing the plastic from the monitor as well to make it odd but don't know how it would rest. Does the plastic parts of the monitor come off seperate from the bottom? Can you tell that in my hardware class the teachers instructions were to never open one? Also - what sorts hazards are present when the case of a working monitor are open and running - besides electrocution...

Noo - sorry - I killed yer post - the other thread was not meant to be - boards went all wacky and started doing things on their own.

No problem ILTU - I was a little puzzled as to what happened.... I just thought I needed more coffee
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by ilovetheusers
    I take it that the metal fasteners can only touch the area of the MOBO around the mounting holes?

I was thinking of removing the plastic from the monitor as well to make it odd but don't know how it would rest. Does the plastic parts of the monitor come off seperate from the bottom? What sorts hazards are present when the case of a working monitor are open and running - besides electrocution...
    Yes, metal mountings can only contact the pad around the mounting hole.

The only safe way to operate a monitor "displayed" would be to create an alternative rear cover in transparent material, with ventilation holes. There are high voltage & high frequency waveforms that can give nasty RF burns if touched. Also in many monitors the circuit board is supported by the case rear and will basically fall out if you take the back off. Perspex portholes in the existing plastic back panel (a la a case mod) with some high intensity LEDs shining on aluminium heatsinks or copper coils could be effective.
    Last edited by Platypus; December 2nd, 2002 at 04:54 AM.

Originally posted by MacGyver
    4. I would not touch a motherboard anywhere while it is on. You could get injured or killed.
    Now I wouldn't be leaving a case off a monitor, but as far as motherboards go, they ain't dangerous, as long as nothing 'conductive' can short it, 12v at point whatever amps ain't gonna give you a coranary....

Originally posted by confus-ed
    Now I wouldn't be leaving a case off a monitor, but as far as motherboards go, they ain't dangerous,....
    I won't rant here, but I'll say this.. anything that can be pluged into a wall can be dangerous...

now.. ILTU

I would worry about heat mostly, just make sure the memory on board and such has some airflow...

as for the monitor.. they have a capacitor in them that has a very nasty jolt to it.. rumor has it.. it is possible to cause death.

I would suggest finding out how to discharge this properly if you plan to touch any of the circuits. but if your just modding the plastic.. as long as your careful not to touch the contacts.. you SHOULD be fine.. .. always make sure they is someone within ear shot .. just incase

Good luck on your project.

Originally posted by LagMonster
    I won't rant here, but I'll say this.. anything that can be pluged into a wall can be dangerous...
    I plug my power supply in there.

The point is that ampage kills not volts, when you discharge static that's a trillion zillion volts or whatever at point nought...nought amps.

A monitor pulls whole amps, motherboard ciruitry is all mili amps... So 12/5V at whatever isn't a killer....

The board, cpu and everything but the PSU will all be quite old, so I'm not worried about heat. I hope to be putting some LED lighted fans near some things to move air over them though.

Might not mod the monitor so much then. maybe just some paint or something...

What, are you psychic or something?

nah. I dated an artist for like 6 years. she was more into pottery but she also painted. the material questions coupled with the acryllic paint pretty much gave it away for me.

primed plywood could be a good choice.

the canvassed wood could work too because you could still get standoffs in the wood and the board would be a 1/2 inch or so off the canvas.

It sounds like a really cool project.

One I had always thought would be neat would be mount the computer on the canvassed board. the canvas would be painted in a circut board pattern except the middle which would be a white/grey screen. then a projector would run out of the computer and project digital photos onto the screen in a continuous slide show. I think it be a cool way for a digital photographer to exhibit work.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Originally posted by confus-ed
    Now I wouldn't be leaving a case off a monitor, but as far as motherboards go, they ain't dangerous, as long as nothing 'conductive' can short it, 12v at point whatever amps ain't gonna give you a coranary....
    Go grab a truck battery
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Arrrrrgh!

Originally posted by Outcoded
    Go grab a truck battery
    A truck battery has a lot more amps ! that's the freakin' point ...

Originally posted by kato2274
    nah. I dated an artist for like 6 years. she was more into pottery but she also painted. the material questions coupled with the acryllic paint pretty much gave it away for me.

primed plywood could be a good choice.

the canvassed wood could work too because you could still get standoffs in the wood and the board would be a 1/2 inch or so off the canvas.

It sounds like a really cool project.

One I had always thought would be neat would be mount the computer on the canvassed board. the canvas would be painted in a circut board pattern except the middle which would be a white/grey screen. then a projector would run out of the computer and project digital photos onto the screen in a continuous slide show. I think it be a cool way for a digital photographer to exhibit work.

Hmmmm, your thing seems more elaborite than mine. I want to put ME on it and have that cool screen saver do a slide show with about 100 photos I have taken.

The circuit board idea for the paint is really good. I, however, can't paint worth a damn and have a more abstract style. Still, some electronic math/circuit map symbols would be quite nice.

This is gonna take some time to do...

Hmmmm, your thing seems more elaborite than mine. I want to put ME on it and have that cool screen saver do a slide show with about 100 photos I have taken.

The circuit board idea for the paint is really good. I, however, can't paint worth a damn and have a more abstract style. Still, some electronic math/circuit map symbols would be quite nice.

This is gonna take some time to do...
    with the monitor, why not make a shadow box type deal so the monitor could be housed inside and the front could be cut out to expose the screen. that would also give you some place to hide cords, ribbon cables, etc

I wouldn't be able to paint the circut board either . . . . . but with a color printer, photshop and glue you could decopauge (spelling) the surface