Hyperactive floppy drives

Thread: Hyperactive floppy drives

Hyperactive floppy drives

Anyone have any ideas why the floppy drives in two of my XP machines are suddenly thrashing wildly when I'm accessing a CD-ROM or defragging a hard drive?

I remember this used to be a chronic annoyance in Win98/ME, but I don't ever recall seeing it in XP until now. This behavior has just started manifesting itself on two of the PC's in my network. I haven't installed any new programs lately, so I figure it was probably a software update of some sort.

Anyone else suddenly seeing this behavior or know how to fix it? I've tried removing and reinstalling the drive in the device manager, but that didn't help.

Thanks...
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

Had that kind of behaviour with pc's with antivirus set to check all drives (acceded the floppy, the net drives and local drives on each exe)

Might worth a check. - Bad setup/upgrade ?

Dan
    C'est la Vie...

"I invented it, Bill made it famous." ~ David Bradley
    (wrote the code for Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the IBM PC)

"You know you're a geek when... You try to shoo a fly away from the monitor with your cursor." ~ Juuso Heimonen

You hit the nail on the head. I had the floppy scanning turned off, but apparently Norton saw fit to re-enable it during my last software update (to the app itself, not the definitions).

Of course it's common knowledge that we very rarely actually intend to make the changes we do while taking the time to configure various programs. Isn't it comforting to know that a company like Symantec cares enough about our well being to actually take the time to rescue us from our own ignorance and ineptitude by restoring the default settings at every possible opportunity?
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

Yeah, they care about us and it shoes....

Thats why most networks I know of dont let users machines update directly (policies, lockups, etc..) but are using a distributed update AFTER some checking.

What bugs me in your story is that only 2 pc were affected.

makes this drone wander what kind of drone are using those PC.
    C'est la Vie...

"I invented it, Bill made it famous." ~ David Bradley
    (wrote the code for Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the IBM PC)

"You know you're a geek when... You try to shoo a fly away from the monitor with your cursor." ~ Juuso Heimonen