Erratic Mouse

Thread: Erratic Mouse

Erratic Mouse

I am facing a strange problem for the last few days.

After I bootup and couple of minutes into my typical work (like opening some files and folders or opening some browser windows for surfing), a strange thing happens.
    The mouse pointer becomes jittery and wildly jumps across the screen. The right-click menu on the desktop opens, The Start menu opens by itself, 'All programs' menu gets activated, some programs open, some folders open (esp. the Start Menu Folder), some new shortcuts gets created on the desktop, some renaming window opens, some right clicks take place, some programs get pinned, some gets unpinned ....... and all these happen at a rapid pace on moving my mouse a little !!

This madness stops after about a minute and then I have to close all the unneccessary open folders and programs manually, delete new-born shortcuts from my desktop and then and then continue with my work only to face this crazy thing again after a few minutes !

Is this some kind of a dangerous virus ?
    Should I re-install windows ?
    Is there a problem with the mouse (PS/2 Compatibale Mouse) ?

I am clueless.

Please help asap.

Regards,
    Suddha

Is this windows 2000?

This is either a trick program or a known issue with win2k that has reappeared in XP
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i had this same problwm with win 98 the other day..it was on my old laptop..i connected a USB mouse to it.(there were no usb ports, it is old, so i used a USB to PS2 connecter) it would work fine if i connected it after the laptop was booted into windows, but if it was connected while i started it up, it would do what yours was doing...
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

This happened to me a while ago...though I can't remember why. I would venture a guess that you're using a PS2 mouse. I know it had something to do with that. Perhaps you might try re-installing your mouse drivers. I don't remember what I did to fix it....I just remember it was something that was easy.

Reinstall drivers. (Or install if you're just using windows default drivers.) Also check the resources. Make sure there are no conflicts. That information can be found in your device manager. (Right click on the mouse in device manager and choose properties...you'll see the Resources tab)
    if(post.eof()){SigBox.setText("Have A Day.");}