LAN party network???????? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LAN party network????????

headphones

In response to the statement about quality headphones....

I recommend Grado Headphones SR-60's...voted headphone of the year by some company or other....they go for $59 retail, but you can find them for like 50?...they sound better than anything under $300 by the same company.

This is the post that never ends.

Did you take the job BF??

Re: Re: Re: Lan Gear

Originally posted by Ebu
    I am an IT major at Syracuse University, and yes, there are layer three switches, but the difference between a router and a layer three switch is that a router runs off of software, and a switch is all built into the hardware. The reason for using a Layer 3 switch would be for someone who needs some routing functions, but needs speed over different operations and configurations. And yes, having a layer 3 switch at a LAN party would be overkill, but isn't that what being a PC nerd is all about?

Okay tell me HOW can a switch Route packets??? Pakcets are Layer 3...

if you read the definition of a SWITCH it Switches packets based on the MAC address ... which im sure you know that MAC addresses are layer 2...

ROUTERS operate at layer 3 as they have to ROUTE packets (packets are layer 3)

you maybe talking about something like a NETGEAR / LINKSYS router + Switch Combo. they have a Router that Routes packets to the Switch which then the Switch switches the packets based on there MAC Address...

find me a place where i can find a Layer 3 Switch....

Ive gotten all my Netowrking training from my CCNA, im studying for my CCNP and they have NEVER once mentioned a Layer 3 switch.

Network –The network layer uses logical addressing to provide routing and related functions that allow multiple data links to be combined into an internetwork. The network layer supports both connection-oriented and connectionless service from higher-layer protocols. Network layer protocols are typically routing protocols. However, other types of protocols, such as the Internet Protocol (IP), are implemented at the network layer as well. Routers reside here at the network layer. Some common routing protocols include Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), and Routing Information Protocol (RIP). Packets and datagrams are sent across this layer of the OSI model (IPX).

Data Link – The data link layer provides reliable transmission of data across a physical medium. The data link layer specifies different network and protocol characteristics, including physical addressing, network topology, error notification, sequencing of frames, and flow control. The Data link layer is composed of two sublayers known as the Media Access Control (MAC) Layer and the Logical Link Control (LLC) layer.

The LLC sublayer manages communications between devices over a single link of a network. LLC supports both connectionless and connection-oriented services used by higher-layer protocols.

The MAC sublayer manages protocol access to the physical network medium. The IEEE MAC specification defines MAC addresses, which allow multiple devices to uniquely identify one another at the data link layer.
    Data link layer implementations can be categorized as either LAN or WAN specifications. The most common LAN data link layer implementations include Ethernet/IEEE 802.3, Fast Ethernet, FDDI, and Token Ring/IEEE 802.5. The most common WAN data link layer implementations include Frame Relay, Link Access Procedure, Balanced (LAPB), Synchronous Data Link Control (SDLC), Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), and SMDS Interface Protocol (SIP).

Physical – The physical layer defines the electrical, mechanical, procedural, and functional specifications for activating, maintaining, and deactivating the physical link between communicating network systems.
    Physical layer specifications define such characteristics as voltage levels, timing of voltage changes, physical data rates, maximum transmission distances, and the physical connectors to be used. Physical layer implementations can be categorized as either LAN or WAN specifications. Some common LAN physical layer implementations include Ethernet/IEEE 802.3, Fast Ethernet, FDDI, and Token Ring/IEEE 802.5. Some common WAN physical layer implementations include High-Speed Serial Interface (HSSI), SMDS Interface Protocol (SIP), and X.21bis.

Thats straight from the Cisco Training ( officially by CISCO )

i hope that cleared that up.

EDIT:

if you want some good head phones...they are a little pricey but are aswome... they are Sienhuiser (SP?) PRO's

my GF uses them for her Audio Engineering... also know as Audio Recording, Audio Mastering, Etc.

i steal them and use em for some good SOF II playing late at night.... ooooohhhh... hooked therough my Audigy....very very nice...

/EDIT
    Last edited by fst1006; December 27th, 2002 at 05:15 PM.

Sennheiser (good aren't they)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I got a pair of Sony MDR-V300 studio quality headphones I picked up in Japan for about US$35 (?¥4000?)...They are the best headphones I have ever used, point blank. Great bass response, good volume handling. Don't know if they are available anywhere else, but if so, they are a great buy.

Edit: Here is a spec sheet, straight from Sony. Spec Sheet
    Last edited by Archangel42069; December 27th, 2002 at 05:49 PM.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

oirginally posted by: fst1006
    you maybe talking about something like a NETGEAR / LINKSYS router + Switch Combo. they have a Router that Routes packets to the Switch which then the Switch switches the packets based on there MAC Address...
    No actually Im talking about a 24-port Layer-3 ethernet switch, they have been around for a few years now, and produced by many companies including Cisco. They might not mention it in books geared torwards a beginner though.

Extreme Networks SummitS24e3
    Summit S24e3

Cisco Systems Cataylast 4908G-L3
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...676/index.html

As Ebu pointed out L3 switches are hardware based and routers are software based. Another difference is that I could create 24 subnets with a Layer 3 24 port switch. for inner site transport they are the way to go, but id still use a router for the wan side.

The OSI is just a model, there is no rule stating where in the OSI a device must live my NIC for instance performs segmentation, a transport layer function.

I can provide links for the NIC as well.
    Last edited by Rô©kHøµñÐ; December 28th, 2002 at 01:17 AM.

In response to the headphone question, if you have about $250 to burn just go find yourself a pair of Sennheiser HD600s off of E-Bay. I have a pair and I must say they are the best headphones I have ever heard.

Once you get used to them and then try out someone else's headphones, you will wonder how you got by with any other headphones.

--Stryfe
    Please insert volume 'BRAIN' and press any key to continue.

/me often wonders why there isn't a minimum IQ requirement to use a computer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lan Gear

Originally posted by fst1006
    Okay tell me HOW can a switch Route packets??? Pakcets are Layer 3...

if you read the definition of a SWITCH it Switches packets based on the MAC address ... which im sure you know that MAC addresses are layer 2...

ROUTERS operate at layer 3 as they have to ROUTE packets (packets are layer 3)

find me a place where i can find a Layer 3 Switch....

Ive gotten all my Netowrking training from my CCNA, im studying for my CCNP and they have NEVER once mentioned a Layer 3 switch.

Network –The network layer uses logical addressing to provide routing and related functions that allow multiple data links to be combined into an internetwork. The network layer supports both connection-oriented and connectionless service from higher-layer protocols. Network layer protocols are typically routing protocols. However, other types of protocols, such as the Internet Protocol (IP), are implemented at the network layer as well. Routers reside here at the network layer. Some common routing protocols include Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), and Routing Information Protocol (RIP). Packets and datagrams are sent across this layer of the OSI model (IPX).

Data Link – The data link layer provides reliable transmission of data across a physical medium. The data link layer specifies different network and protocol characteristics, including physical addressing, network topology, error notification, sequencing of frames, and flow control. The Data link layer is composed of two sublayers known as the Media Access Control (MAC) Layer and the Logical Link Control (LLC) layer.

The LLC sublayer manages communications between devices over a single link of a network. LLC supports both connectionless and connection-oriented services used by higher-layer protocols.

The MAC sublayer manages protocol access to the physical network medium. The IEEE MAC specification defines MAC addresses, which allow multiple devices to uniquely identify one another at the data link layer.
    Data link layer implementations can be categorized as either LAN or WAN specifications. The most common LAN data link layer implementations include Ethernet/IEEE 802.3, Fast Ethernet, FDDI, and Token Ring/IEEE 802.5. The most common WAN data link layer implementations include Frame Relay, Link Access Procedure, Balanced (LAPB), Synchronous Data Link Control (SDLC), Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), and SMDS Interface Protocol (SIP).

Physical – The physical layer defines the electrical, mechanical, procedural, and functional specifications for activating, maintaining, and deactivating the physical link between communicating network systems.
    Physical layer specifications define such characteristics as voltage levels, timing of voltage changes, physical data rates, maximum transmission distances, and the physical connectors to be used. Physical layer implementations can be categorized as either LAN or WAN specifications. Some common LAN physical layer implementations include Ethernet/IEEE 802.3, Fast Ethernet, FDDI, and Token Ring/IEEE 802.5. Some common WAN physical layer implementations include High-Speed Serial Interface (HSSI), SMDS Interface Protocol (SIP), and X.21bis.

Thats straight from the Cisco Training ( officially by CISCO )

i hope that cleared that up.

EDIT:

if you want some good head phones...they are a little pricey but are aswome... they are Sienhuiser (SP?) PRO's

my GF uses them for her Audio Engineering... also know as Audio Recording, Audio Mastering, Etc.

i steal them and use em for some good SOF II playing late at night.... ooooohhhh... hooked therough my Audigy....very very nice...

/EDIT
    Please tell me you copied and pasted that. LOL.
    Ok, ok, well, I was taught that there are layer three switches. Oh wait, check out this CISCO link. I know that layer three switches are "sorta" routers, but nonetheless, they are called layer three switches. http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/...o/l3c85_wp.htm

PS, thanks rockhound
    Last edited by Ebu; December 28th, 2002 at 05:26 PM.
    "Color outside the lines"

Good article, had to add that one to my favs.

BTW Layer 3 switching on a lan-party network is extreme overkill, I was only joking around. Any layer 2 switch should do fine for the scenario originally presented in this thread.

My buddies and I had 4 boxes going, two were mine, we had switches and a router, We had lots of fun playing UT no problems
    The best thing is to keep it simple and cheap but not too cheap
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Well.... i just consider myself 0wn3d ... heh...

very interesting thanks for correcting my posts...

Originally posted by Rô©kHøµñÐ
    [B] No actually Im talking about a 24-port Layer-3 ethernet switch, they have been around for a few years now, and produced by many companies including Cisco. They might not mention it in books geared torwards a beginner though.

[B]
    i would not say CCNP books are "Beginner"....

i doubt any "Beginners" to networking are taking the CCNP...

ooooooohhhhh... 2 more exams and CCIE only 19 years old... heh....

damn! i need to get a life

but... BACK TO THE SUBJECT!

yah, these seem like overkill...

Just a question...

Hubs have lower latencey Vs. Switches

so in theroy for gaming what would be faster?

Hubs(Low latency, but Collisons) Vs. Switches (Higher latency, no collisions)

i dunno jsut ranting.... havent slept in a while...

heh....
    when ever i host LAN parties (2 times a year) i usually borrow a 24 port CICSO catalyst switch for work (we bought a bunch after DOT-BOMB) and have every one to hook up to that...very nice....and then frag fest

hope to hear how your LAN Party goes

Originally posted by fst1006
    Just a question...

Hubs have lower latencey Vs. Switches

so in theroy for gaming what would be faster?

Hubs(Low latency, but Collisons) Vs. Switches (Higher latency, no collisions)
    Hubs are half duplex, switches are full duplex. Hubs would suck and do suck compared to switches.

Anyway - BF - Have you done this or given up on it or what??

Get a good switch and set up in a Star Topology, with and uplink to the "net and your ready to Frag till the wee hours of the morning
    I favor switches over hubs , I still have an old hub for my not so critical stations, all others are on my Linksys 4 port router/switch
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Hubs would probably have less latency since they do absolutely zero processing. You would on the other hand have to worry about collisions on both the broadcast domain and the collision domain.

Realistically though 5 computers or less you wouldnt notice it for gaming, I play all sorts of games with other peeps on my ISP subnet and have very minimal lagg, if any at all.

But personally i would use at least L2 switching.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    If I'm playing a game round a mate's house, it tends to be on my laptop (smelleron 1.33, 8meg shared VGA), it ain't perfect, plays UT, that sort of thing. Yeah, it ain't brilliant, but it doesn't effect anyone else's game. So why stipulate what they bring (as long as it doesn't include speakers)?
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up