Win2000 Servers and Cisco Network

Thread: Win2000 Servers and Cisco Network

Post Win2000 Servers and Cisco Network

We have a large enterprise network, with mostly win2k servers for nearly all applications. We are finding that much of the server-server traffic is being slowed (long Acks, retransmissions, etc). However network utilization is nearly 10% on any segment. It's all Cisco stuff. One caveat. Pier-to-pier transfers from workstation to workstation (2000) are fine. I have heard rumor MS doesn't play well with Cisco MTU. Our production stuff is having trouble. Any thoughts.

We've updated NIC drivers and TCP stacks. Anyone have an optimal setting for mtu size in servers?

we're cisco and w2k also. the servers are connected to cisco 1gig ethernet switchs and the servers have intelpro 1000t cards.

we leave the MTU size at 1500 (the default) and do not use fat frames. reason being is that not every device on the network can handle a higher MTU size and fat frames so there would end up being a bottle neck somewhere along the way.

hope this helps
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Just a thought, have you tried dcdiag on your DCs ? Maybe it's not an IP issue but a GC or LDAP issue?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

I run a win2k network with a COMPLETE cisco infrustructure!

never had a speed issue and we are now up to over 700 clients spanning 5 countries!!

We run a Orcale database with a .asp web based frontend, enterprise wide.

never had speed problems. (other than the couple of 128k WAN links to some of the small sites.)

I say go for it... and MAKE SURE YOUR GET TRANNING!!

lol

enjoy!
    You know you want a crabby patty!!