maxtor ata133 failure rates

Thread: maxtor ata133 failure rates

Angry maxtor ata133 failure rates

I have had 4 out of 4 bad drives. I have lost lots of data. :/
    Anyone else have this problem?
    Newegg was where the drives were purchased.
    UsePost2000
    IT Consultant
    A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSA,
    MCSE, MCSE2000, MCDBA,
    MCT, CCNA, CCNP

Can't say I've had that problem with their ata133 drives but then again I don't use Maxtor if I can help it. I've always had bad luck with them. I've talked to people who swear by them and others who just swear AT them. I have one in my computer now but that's because I got it for free. ( well sort of ). Now these are all my opinions so... I've said for awhile now it seems you have to find a brand that works for you and stick to it. Western Digital has been good to me and most people I know but one friend has horrible luck with them. Go figure..

Good luck I hope they let you RMA... Never had much luck there either with maxtor..
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Try western digital or seagate. See how well they work for you.
    Don't know about IBM. I'm still staying away from them.

I own alot of maxtor hds. No problems with them. But with any brand, people either have good luck with them or get burned by them.

It just depends on how high the defect rate goes for any model or manufacturer.

I have a maxtor ata133 - it went back after a month... the replacement has recently developed one bad sector... however its the hdd in the kids games machine so I am not particularly worried.

Mine is a seagate barracuda
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i have 3 maxtor ata100 30gb drives, one purchased from compuplus.com(never again) one from newegg.com and one from circuit city. one of them died the other week (refer to thread entitled "please just shoot me") although it has been quite a while since i purchased them, i dont' remember which one of them it was..but they were all very similar. I still use the other two, but i dont' know if i will buy maxtor again.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Like a lot of the other posts above, I use WD and maxtor and haven't had any problems with mine, but I haven't bought a new maxtor in a while either.

Lately any 8m cache WD does me just fine

I have a couple 80gig Maxtor ATA133 drives that I am using for storage. I have had them a few months now and they seem to be cranking along fine.

I use exclusively IBM drives other than the 2 Maxtors and have never had to RMA one. I guess it comes down to luck. I have had bad luck in the past with WD and Seagate IDE drives. Seagate does make decent SCSI drives, but again IBMs are better so why settle for less?
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

if ibm makes hard drives...then why dont they us them in their PCs? all of our old PCs are IBM..they are being replaced by dells.(just started here, not my decision) but i noticed that when i opened up some of the ibm PCs, they had maxtor drives. oh well, just found that odd.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

ive stopped using MAXTER drives for about a year now, I was having nothing but problems with them. I am using IBM and Seagate Drives now.

I have a bad Maxtor 133 80gb that gave me all sorts of freeze up issues and lost data once in a while until I ran some Maxtor software that verified that there was an unrecoverable error and to return it. I will be returning it this week or next.

My roomie has returned every one of his Maxtor drives (3) and has benefited from it as they have often sent back larger/faster drives though one of those went bad too. There is no particular size or speed that failed, they all did. I have become soured to them and will not be buying anything from them ever again, even though my roomie never had a bad time returning anything and I do not anticipate issues myself. I have 3 Segate drives (old 2gb and a 4gb) and one 2gb is bad. I have a Fujitsu 20gb that has developed bad sectors. I have an IBM 120gb and a new WD 80gb that seem all right until now.

As for what to buy – they all suck from what I see. I have not been to a message board where someone did not complain about a particular type of HDD. Some folks hate IBM and others hate WD while others praise, praise, praise them. I rarely see anyone talk about Segate or Fujitsu at all (for whatever that is worth). It really seems from my small experience with HDD’s that they all eat it at one time or another and nothing is sure besides the need to backup you data if it is important. You can backup to CD, tape, zip, or now DVD. I suggest at least one of those for anyone who has critical data. I myself even leave my CD’s with my important data in my car in case of fire in my home.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; December 4th, 2002 at 06:08 PM.

like I said it really depends. Some people have really good luck with certain drives. Lately all manufacturerers switched from their standard 3 yr warranty to 1yr or less. Tells me that reliability is a problem from a long run standpoint.

As far as Fujitsu and Seagate. We use to use Fujitsu alot. Then we got a bad batch of 20gb's and they quit making hd. Now we try to use Western Digital. Some are bad yes ( same as fujitsu ) but they have been VERY good with RMA's. Haven't had to rma one lately though. Seagate, I've had bad luck with in the past but we have used them to some extent recently and they seem to be decent. An associate of ours uses them almost exclusively and has great luck.

The things to remember are that 1)even the best company can have a bad batch. 2) everyone is lowering their warranty 3) drive speed is increasing - the last two are reliability it makes sence that faster drives will were out faster and that is supported by the companies lowering their warranty. 4) the economy isn't great now so companies will do more to cut costs ( maybe why 2 and 3 above ). and last just from talking to different people ... some have different luck with the different components. Look at the old Ford/Chevy thing. Who's to really say. You are on the right track though ask around find out what people are having luck with.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!