System Properties and Network Properties will not open...

Thread: System Properties and Network Properties will not open...

Question System Properties and Network Properties will not open...

I have a Win 98 PC that is on the bench for the fifth time this year. The first three times, the majority of the problems were caused by the client insisting on running Norton System Works and a number of other background apps. We uninstalled all but the antivirus portion of System Works and all three times the client reinstalled and was back with the same problems (would not complete boot into desktop). The forth time he completely hosed the computer and we ended up formatting and doing a clean install. We sent it back with the usual advice about avoiding installing background apps and a short lesson on MSConfig (easiest way, this guy did not need to be messing with the registry, sysedit, ect) to remove them if they were installed. All was well for a couple months until he walked in the door this week and said the PC would not boot to the desktop again. Same stuff, Norton System Works and the full assortment of junk apps, AOL, realtray, gator, kazaa, various "internet speed programs" and the list goes on... He had some files in quarantine also, but did not know which viruses they were. I managed to get by the various issues the computer was having and uninstalled Norton System Works and unloaded the background apps. Ran scandisk and it reported a damaged FAT which was repaired and several damaged files that it removed. I also ran a surface scan, but did not show any bad sectors. The computer is functional now with the exception of System Properties, Add/Remove Hardware and the Network Properties. I have replaced the .cpl files with no change and am at a loss. I really do not want to format and reinstall again, but that may be the best option to help this guy understand when we say certain apps should not be installed on certain configurations, we are not kidding. Anyway, rants aside, any input?

You run SFC?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Angry Yes, no Luck

It reported user.exe as being changed, I replaced that with no improvement...

hmmm, install over... but user.exe is one of those things that get screwed when you uninstall Norton, how did you do that? Did you try using the manual uninstall instructions at symantec?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I can't say that I have heard of that one. What actually happens when you try to access these applets? Is there an error message, or it is just that nothing happens? Can you access these applets in safe mode? If so, you may want to try a step-by-step boot, and see if you missed a rogue app or startup config or something...

Finished Uninstall

I just followed Symantec's manual uninstall instructions and
    there were very few sections that Add/Remove programs had not removed. Rebooted, same thing... when you attempt to open the applets, the hourglass flashes for 1/10th +/- second, and then just reverts to the standard pointer with no other actions. Rebooted again, step by step, "N" on windows drivers, VXD blue screen, reboot, no Boot Disk! Gotta love these things. I'll get back to you on this...

Don't you just love customers like that? Given the previous problems, and the fact that there were things in quarantine, you might want to run an online virus scan or a boot virus scan to make sure the system is clean.

Question Ok, bad drive?

Actually,that was why we were trying to access the network properties to install a NIC, get online and scan the machine. I could have downloaded Pccillian and made the diskettes, but we were not to that point yet. I just booted off of a diskette, ran fdisk option 4, and it shows no partitions defined on this drive now although it was setup with both primary and extended earlier... I guess I don't have to worry about the Windows issues now! Either this guy had a virus that hosed his partitions (was it CIH that would destroy the first copy of the FAT a couple years ago?) or the drive is failing. Talked to the client and he was thinking of getting a new PC anyway, I just hope he has some kind of backups.

If it was a boot sector virus (there are some making the rounds as droppers from other viruses now) then be sure to scan the floppies you used on another machine with up-to-date definitions....this type of customer never makes backups

Might be worth a run over with the freebie data recovery proggie, pc inspector, just to see if you can get back anything useful.... on second thoughts, you will probably only find bonzi buddy...

Boot Sector Virus

I don't think it had one as I remember running MEM and it showed 640K, also ran FDISK earlier to check partitions and everything appeared as it should. My boot floppy is always write protected so that should not be an issue. You are right though, no backups. Now we are into the issue of "which of my old software packages will run on XP if I buy a new PC?" Thankfully, he has been convinced to ditch System Works and get the stand-alone antivirus and firewall packages. Also, went to the PC Inspector website and downloaded the freebie, but when I read the site FAQ, it seemed to indicate it would not recover a damaged partition or FAT? Either way, this one may have a good ending after all!