Low sound
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low sound

Low sound

I only get low sound through my headphones, speakers are ok (but there amplified) my sound card is an ALS4000 ,and it only has line in ,line out ,sub. And yes i have tried EVERY setting i can find in the properties etc ...any ideas
    STIG I"m pink therefore I"m~SPAM

Re: Low sound

Originally posted by STIGOFTHEDUMP
    I only get low sound through my headphones, speakers are ok (but there amplified)
    there's your answer. either there is no preamp in that card or it's a crappy one. not much you can do but either replace the sound card with a better one. you can get audigy OEM cards cheap now and SBLIVE OEM cards even cheaper. or get amplified headphones.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

ta kato2274

thanks kato ,i had a feeling it would involve spending money! doesnt it always when it comes to PCs!

where are the headphones plugged in? at the sound card. if so, then the above solution stands. but it just occured to me that when my wife plays games and I watch tv, she often uses headphones, but they plug into the back of the speaker set.

if that's where you're plugging them in it may not be a sound card problem but rather a problem with the headphones and or speakers. if you're not plugging them in at the speaker, then why not? if you're speakers don't have this option, then there's at least another route to go about solving your problem. buy new speakers.

soundadvice(sorry)

My headphones are plugged in to the line out ,as this is the only socket i can get sound from, my speakers are crappy and dont have a headphone socket anyway,that said i dont want to go down the "new speaker" route as none of us ever use em! And i have tried other headphones.

well then new sound card.

I buy from computer geeks regularly. here are some of their current offerings. the SBLIVE 5.1 is $36 and a SUPER card. the other 6 channel cards might not be bad either.
    http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=SND

Do yourself a favour and Do a couple of things:
    a. Creative sound Cards are crappy - they are no more than D2A and a little Crappy DSP. Their Drivers Weight a ton and those cards does not offer "QUALITY" Output either (I do some music - I know about this $hit).
    b. Better connect the Soundcard to a decent Reciever + Speaker set. There is no Magic about it - The money you put on the sound system Directly reflects on the quality you get. I myself have a PIONEER VSX-D409 with Pure acoustic 150W RMS Oild cooled speaker set Mainly connected to the Line out of my Hercules sound board ( The Sound System cost me something like 5000$ - and I use it only in my room).

If you are on a budget (aren't we all ?) - buy a simple Harman Kardon or Altec lansing PC Kit. Their W is not high but their sound is preety clean.

Good Luck (and "Rock you like a Hurricane"),
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Thumbs up soundbound

Thanks for the tips folks,even i can find $36!!.As for sound systems i have mine in another room,its not associated with my computer and i dont realy want it to be ......SO......NEW SOUND CARD!

Personally I would go the new speaker route, you can get some cheap speakers for less than 30 that do have headphone jacks in em' , just head down to you local PC World, CompUSA or Best Buy and have a look.
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Originally posted by kato2274
    well then new sound card.

I buy from computer geeks regularly. here are some of their current offerings. the SBLIVE 5.1 is $36 and a SUPER card. the other 6 channel cards might not be bad either.
    http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=SND
    ----------------------------------------------------------------- I still cant seem to find a soundcard with a dedicated headphones socket, is there such a beasty

I run my headphones from the line out on my cheapie cmedia card

But it's easier to get speakers with a headphone socket on the front, no scrabbling around....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by Gabriel
    Do yourself a favour and Do a couple of things:
    a. Creative sound Cards are crappy - they are no more than D2A and a little Crappy DSP. Their Drivers Weight a ton and those cards does not offer "QUALITY" Output either (I do some music - I know about this $hit).
    b. Better connect the Soundcard to a decent Reciever + Speaker set. There is no Magic about it - The money you put on the sound system Directly reflects on the quality you get. I myself have a PIONEER VSX-D409 with Pure acoustic 150W RMS Oild cooled speaker set Mainly connected to the Line out of my Hercules sound board ( The Sound System cost me something like 5000$ - and I use it only in my room).

If you are on a budget (aren't we all ?) - buy a simple Harman Kardon or Altec lansing PC Kit. Their W is not high but their sound is preety clean.

Good Luck (and "Rock you like a Hurricane"),
    Gabriel
    I don't think he was trying to dub a perfect analog copy of some .wav coming from his comp...he probably just wanted to hear the sound from a game or cd...why recommend building a home theater system if all the user wants to hear is the "Microsoft Sound"????
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

$$$$$$$

Originally posted by Archangel42069
    I don't think he was trying to dub a perfect analog copy of some .wav coming from his comp...he probably just wanted to hear the sound from a game or cd...why recommend building a home theater system if all the user wants to hear is the "Microsoft Sound"????
    Yes, you got the idea, Archangle I was thinking $25 not $5000!!!

I believe all ISA cards (depending how old your computer is) has amps intalled on them. Most PCI sound cards don't (from experience). You can find a good old ISA and use that or, like you mentioned earlier, buy preamp head phones.
    "Okay, I'm giving everyone the boot off the servers. I need Maximum Bandwidth!"

Originally posted by STIGOFTHEDUMP
    ----------------------------------------------------------------- I still cant seem to find a soundcard with a dedicated headphones socket, is there such a beasty
    The Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo line of sound cards have a dongle that plugs into the card that has a dedicated headphone plug.

I can't comment on the quality of the product since I don't use it, but I understand that it's a decent card.
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."